Support for blast victims
A Rutherglen dad injured in the Manchester bomb horror has woken from a coma.
Piotr Chylewska was put in an induced coma by medical staff after he was admitted to hospital with serious injuries.
The 44-year-old was waiting at Manchester Arena to pick up his wife Ewa, their daughter Amelia, 12, and her friend when he was hit with shrapnel from the blast on May 22.
He sustained several serious injuries, specifically to the left side of his body, and underwent a 12hour operation on his eye.
He had further surgery last Tuesday, May 30.
But his condition is now said to be improving.
Ewa and their two children, Amelia and Kasper, have travelled back and forth to Manchester to be with Piotr since the incident.
The family initially had an agonising 15-hour wait following the bomb attack before they found Piotr.
The factory worker, who is originally from Poland, had text Ewa to say he was waiting for them by the exit of the arena, where they had been to see Ariana Grande perform.
When Ewa got outside following the blast she could not reach her husband on his phone.
She went to a nearby hotel to wait for news and spent the night trying to get information through the Polish consulate.
At 2pm the following day she learned he was in hospital.
Ewa and her family are being supported by friends and St Bride’s Parish priest Father Paul Morton, who travelled to Manchester last week to visit Piotr.
Updating well wishers on the church’s Facebook page this week, Father Morton said: “Piotr has awoken from an induced coma and his condition is improving.
“The family is very appreciative of good wishes and prayers of everyone.” Cambuslang shoppers have given generously to a fund that will support victims of the Manchester Arena bomb.
Locals donated £460 at Morrisons supermarket after collection buckets were set out at checkouts for a number of days.
The Red Cross’ We Love Manchester emergency fund was set up to support those who were injured or bereaved in the May 22 atrocity.
A second fund, the UK Solidarity Fund has also been set up in the wake of the terror attack on London Bridge on Saturday. This is for the victims of terror attacks anywhere in the UK.
For more information on the Red Cross funds and how to donate see redcross.org.uk/appeal/ manchester-emergency-fund-concert