HOUSING

Rutherglen Reformer - - Housing - Edel Ke­nealy

An ap­peal for the Scot­tish Gov­ern­ment to call in the con­tro­ver­sial Gil­bert­field housing devel­op­ment in Cam­bus­lang has been re­jected.

The gov­ern­ment last week con­firmed it would not ex­am­ine South La­nark­shire Coun­cil’s han­dling of the Per­sim­mon Homes plan­ning ap­pli­ca­tion for 386 houses on land off Gil­bert­field Road.

The devel­op­ment was ap­proved by South La­nark­shire Coun­cil’s plan­ning com­mit­tee on March 28 de­spite a 1,300-strong pe­ti­tion call­ing for it to be thrown out.

Res­i­dents com­plained local roads, schools, nurs­eries and med­i­cal cen­tres could not cope with a devel­op­ment of that scale.

But an of­fi­cial writ­ing on be­half of Kevin Ste­wart MSP, min­is­ter for local gov­ern­ment and housing, said he would not in­ter­vene in the case be­cause it was not of na­tional im­por­tance.

He said: “It is, pri­mar­ily, for the plan­ning au­thor­ity to fully con­sider the mer­its, or oth­er­wise, of a plan­ning ap­pli­ca­tion in light of the poli­cies con­tained in the rel­e­vant devel­op­ment plan.

“Min­is­ters would only con­sider call­ing-in an ap­pli­ca­tion for their de­ter­mi­na­tion where, in their view, the ac­tual pro­posal raised is­sues of gen­uine na­tional in­ter­est.

“Hav­ing con­sid­ered the in­for­ma­tion avail­able, we do not con­sider there to be any grounds to merit call-in of this par­tic­u­lar plan­ning ap­pli­ca­tion for de­ci­sion at a na­tional level.”

Cam­bus­lang-based plan­ner Dave Sut­ton and Stephen Tow­ill, who led the com­mu­nity fight against the devel­op­ment, both called on the gov­ern­ment to in­ter­vene.

The pair raised a num­ber of con­cerns with the min­is­ter in­clud­ing the coun­cil’s pass­ing of a 386-house devel­op­ment, for

Cam­paignStephen Tow­ill (right) at­tended the plan­ning meet­ing ear­lier this year with Coun­cil­lor Wal­ter Bro­gan

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.