Spi­ders cruise it as City crum­ble

Gus hails im­proved dis­play

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sport - Mur­ray Spooner

Queen’s Park man­ager Gus MacPher­son was beam­ing as the Spi­ders ru­ined Ed­in­burgh City’s first ever trip to the Na­tional Sta­dium.

The Ham­p­den Park side re­cov­ered from their 5-1 open­ing-day Bet­fred Cup de­feat to Pre­mier­ship Mother­well with a fight­ing 2-2 draw at Championship Mor­ton on Tues­day, los­ing the penalty shoot-out 4-2 be­fore en­ter­tan­ing the League Two side.

Dominic Docherty’s strike sep­a­rated the teams at the break be­fore a Chris McKee own goal and some­thing of a fluke from An­ton Brady made for a try­ing af­ter­noon for City.

MacPher­son com­mented: “We had tough games against Mother­well and Mor­ton but this one was dif­fer­ent as we had most of the pos­ses­sion. We asked the play­ers to make the most of hav­ing the ball and there was a lot to be pleased about in­di­vid­u­ally and col­lec­tively.”

No doubt with an eye on their League One opener, MacPher­son made four changes from the side that started at Mor­ton.

Ex-ju­nior wing back Michael Bai­ley came in for his de­but, mid­fielder David Green made his first start, and David Galt and Ton scorer Thomas Orr started up front.

Queen’s lined up 3-5-2, with Ross Millen, Kevin Green and Bryan Whar­ton be­hind Bai­ley, David Green, Docherty, Brady and skip­per Sean Burns, and Orr and Galt up top.

It was an un­event­ful first 10 min­utes but Bai­ley and David Green were busy early on down the right, and Kevin Green got in one good block from Grimes.

As the game hit the 15-minute mark, nei­ther keeper had been asked to dirty his gloves, though both sides looked anx­ious to get the ball down and pass it.

Queen’s how­ever, man­aged to take the lead on 19 min­utes. Orr showed good tenac­ity to keep the ball on the left by­line and then skip in­side a de­fender be­fore play­ing in Burns, whose slide-rule pass across the face of the goal was touched in at the near post by Docherty for his first Queen’s goal.

Sean Mackie got the game’s first yel­low for a foot-up chal­lenge on Galt in 37 min­utes, and when Brady won a free kick deep on the left, Queen’s came so close to a sec­ond goal. In what looked like a train­ing ground move, Galt swung the ball to the far post, Kevin Green rose to knock down a header, and Orr blasted a vol­ley against the bar.

Queen’s were quick out the blocks af­ter the in­ter­val as Orr al­most had them two up in­side two min­utes. He showed good close con­trol to make space in the box for a shot that was blocked.

The hosts had very no­tice­ably picked up the pace and they de­servedly got their sec­ond goal in 55 min­utes. Orr was again heav­ily in­volved, steal­ing back pos­ses­sion in the box af­ter hav­ing been blocked, then spin­ning and driv­ing over a cross that McKee tried to clear but turned into his own net.

There were up­set­ting scenes on the hour, when City man Karadachki went down in­jured af­ter a tackle and had to be car­ried off on a stretcher.

The un­for­tu­nate de­fender was still be­ing wheeled round the track, hav­ing been subbed for Hall, when Queen’s went 3-0 ahead.

Brady stepped onto a slipped pass from Burns on the left by­line and from the most acute of an­gles chipped the ball over the keeper and in at the far side net.

Grimes went close with a nice shot from out­side the box in what was City’s first ef­fort.

Orr then went off to a good ova­tion to make way for Ewan MacPher­son who nearly struck a fourth, only for his over­head kick to re­bound off the post.

Cup vic­to­ryDo­minic Docherty opens the scor­ing from close range

First start Michael Bai­ley made his Queen’s Park and se­nior de­but af­ter his switch from Yoker

Three points Queen’s gaffer Gus MacPher­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.