Open­ing day loss for Spi­ders

Early chances but Ar­broath landed the first goal

Rutherglen Reformer - - Drivetime extra - Mur­ray Spooner

Queen’s Park failed to get off to a pos­i­tive start in their first league meeting of the sea­son as a spir­ited Ar­broath side sent them home with noth­ing.

Man­ager Gus MacPher­son made three changes to the start­ing 11 that beat Ber­wick in their last out­ing. Out went Michael Bailey, David Green and Ewan MacPher­son and in came Adam Cum­mins, Sean Burns and Conor McVey.

It was the home side who got the pro­ceed­ings un­der­way as Do­minic Docherty fouled Omar Kader 25 yards from goal. Danny Den­holm stepped up and much to the de­light of the trav­el­ling Spi­ders fans, curled the free kick wide.

Ar­broath had two more chances soon af­ter to take the lead. From their first cor­ner of the match Steven Doris saw a goal­bound header blocked by Bryan Whar­ton be­fore ex-Spi­der Ricky Lit­tle saw his 25-yarder go wide.

But it was on the 23rd minute that the home side had their first ef­fort on target,the lively Kader cut in from the right and fired a pow­er­ful shot on target, thank­fully for Queen’s it was straight at Wil­liam Muir.

Queen’s were given an­other warn­ing when in the 33rd minute Doris had the best chance of the game. Hav­ing been played in by Kader, the striker fired a low ef­fort just the wrong side of Muir’s left-hand post. It showed again that the home side posed a real threat in at­tack and just min­utes later they made that threat count. With 37 min­utes on the clock Hamil­ton knocked a high ball into the Spi­ders box. Den­holm took a swipe on the turn, mak­ing con­tact but not getting the shot away. He was then quick­est to re­act to his own missed ef­fort and he knocked it past Muir from close range to put the home side ahead. The Red Lichties con­tin­ued their search for a sec­ond goal in the sec­ond half and had chances through Den­holm, who saw a low ef­fort saved by Muir and then Doris who headed wide af­ter getting on the end of a Bobby Linn cross. At the other end, as the Spi­ders con­tin­ued their hunt for an equaliser, the first sub­sti­tu­tion of the match was made, with Adam Cum­mins mak­ing way for Christo­pher Duff. How­ever be­fore the sub­sti­tute had any chance to get in­volved in the game the home side dou­bled their lead. Doris got the bet­ter of Millen on the right and the striker raced for­ward, fired in a low cross which fell per­fectly for Blair Yule who found the back of the net with a pow­er­ful ef­fort from 10 yards.

The home side took a huge amount of con­fi­dence from the sec­ond goal and with the Spi­ders look­ing some­what out of sorts, im­me­di­ately went in search of a third and both Linn and Kader missed chances.

The fi­nal 10 min­utes of the match saw the Spi­ders cre­ate a num­ber of chances as David Green, David Galt and Do­minic Docherty went close but Ar­broath saw the game out with rel­a­tive ease.

MacPher­son said: “It’s an old cliche but the first goal is ab­so­lutely cru­cial in foot­ball.

“We lost it and our heads went down against a very tal­ented Ar­broath side.”

Eye on the ball Ar­broath’s Steven Doris (L) in ac­tion against Kevin Green

Point out the pos­i­tives Queen’s Park boss Gus MacPher­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.