Wee Gers smash and grab raid on Clyde

Rutherglen Reformer - - Drivetime extra - Staff re­porter

Clyde man­ager Jim Chap­man was dis­ap­pointed in his side’s ex­e­cu­tion in front of goal as they slumped to their first open­ing day de­feat in eight years.

The Bully Wee boss saw his side go ahead thanks to David Good­willie.

But a string of missed Clyde chances, a dou­ble from on-loan Hearts kid Andy Irv­ing and a goal from Aaron Mur­rell handed Ber­wick Rangers the win.

Chap­man said: “There is a rea­son we lost to­day, and that’s be­cause we didn’t take our chances and Ber­wick did. Ber­wick only had three shots at goal and scored with all three of them.

“Their goal­keeper was man of the match and that also tells a story.

“We were com­pla­cent, but the play­ers have to learn from this and they have to learn fast, be­cause if neg­a­tiv­ity creeps in it can have an ef­fect on fu­ture per­for­mances.”

Jack Bres­lin, Kevin Ni­coll and Jor­dan Ste­wart all re­turned to the start­ing line-up, with Kyle Bradley, Lewis Wil­son and Max Wright drop­ping to the bench.

Clyde opened the scor­ing mid­way through the first half when Good­willie got on the end of a lofted through ball from Matt Flynn. The striker took the ball to the bye­line, cut back and fired his shot high into the back of the net from a tight an­gle.

He al­most dou­bled his tally a minute later but was foiled by Ross McCrorie in the Ber­wick goal. McCrorie saved his side again when he got his fingertips to a Smart Osado­lor shot from out­side the box, which seemed des­tined for the top cor­ner.

Just as it looked like Clyde were go­ing to take a lead into the half time break, some sloppy play saw Kevin Ni­coll lose pos­ses­sion on the half­way line, and the home side broke up the park. The ball found its way to Irv­ing, who fizzed a low shot past Blair Cur­rie to equalise.

Good­willie and Os­lador both had shots saved early in the sec­ond half be­fore Max Wright came off the bench and al­most claimed an as­sist with his first touch. Good­willie’s lob how­ever, landed on the roof of the next.

With the game en­ter­ing the clos­ing stages, Good­willie looked to be clearly fouled on the edge of the Ber­wick box, but this was missed by both the ref­eree and his as­sis­tant; the for­mer then awarded the hosts a free-kick in a sim­i­lar po­si­tion up the other end of the park sec­onds later.

Cur­rie could only parry the shot from McKenna’s free-kick, and Mur­rell was the quick­est to re­act and squeezed the ball home from close range.

Irv­ing sealed the three points for Ber­wick a minute from time when his shot from the edge of the box beat Cur­rie.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.