‘Show-off’ Audi rac­ers are jailed for killing cou­ple

Salford Advertiser - - NEWS - PAUL BRIT­TON paul.brit­ton@men-news.co.uk @paulbrit­tonMEN

TWO ar­ro­gant and reck­less ‘ show-off’ mo­torists have been jailed after rac­ing at speeds of more than 80mph be­fore smash­ing into a car killing a young cou­ple.

Aaron Jones, 19, and his girl­friend Amy Hob­son, 22, died after the smash on the A580 East Lan­cashire Road, in Swin­ton, in June.

Steven Ward, 26, of South Av­enue, Swin­ton, and Carl Wood, 27, of St James Street, in Farn­worth, Bolton, were driv­ing ‘ag­gres­sively and com- pe­t­i­tively’ against each other be­fore the crash.

They were ‘ over­tak­ing and un­der­tak­ing’ other cars at high speed and ‘rac­ing red lights’, Manch­ester Crown Court was told. Ward was driv­ing an Audi S3 and Wood an Audi RS3. Both cars passed through three junc­tions from where the East Lancs Road meets the M60 be­fore the fa­tal smash at the junc­tion with Bar­ton Road.

One wit­ness said she saw one of the cars ‘spin­ning its wheels’ as it ac­cel­er­ated away from traf­fic lights.

She told po­lice in a state­ment: “It was all so point­less and so pre­vent- able. Both driv­ers were rac­ing... it felt like they were com­pet­ing against each other.”

Another wit­ness said the speed of one Audi as it passed made her car ‘rock’.

A third said both Audis were ‘go­ing for ev­ery pos­si­ble gap’ and play­ing ‘cat and mouse’ with each other as they ma­noeu­vred for po­si­tion and weaved in and out of Sun­day traf­fic at more than twice the 40mph speed limit.

Aaron and Amy, who both worked at McDon­alds in Pendlebury, were re­turn­ing home from a day trip to South­port.

Aaron was driv­ing his Vaux­hall Corsa when it was struck by the Audi S3 Ward was driv­ing. Aaron was turn­ing right onto Bar­ton Road. Ward’s car then struck the Audi RS3 and passers-by rushed to help.

Aaron died at the scene and Amy died in hos­pi­tal.

She leaves a three-yearold son, Al­fie.

Judge Michael Hen­shall said Aaron could do noth­ing to avoid the smash.

Both Ward and Wood pleaded guilty to two counts of caus­ing death by dan­ger­ous driv­ing.

Ward, who has a pre­vi­ous con­vic­tion for steal­ing a car, was jailed for nine years.

Wood, twice con­victed pre­vi­ously for dan­ger­ous driv­ing and drink-driv­ing, was also jailed for nine years with a fur­ther pe­riod of five years on li­cence. It means he will serve a min­i­mum of six years be­hind bars. Both men were dis­qual­i­fied from driv­ing for nine years.

Steven Ward, left, and Carl Wood were both jailed over the smash

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.