Poll shows general public are happy to eat game
Some 85 per cent of people are prepared to try game — and there is no ruralurban divide — now it needs better marketing and more information available
With an increasing interest in healthier eating and the avoidance of processed foods, a more informed public is on the lookout for affordable, nutritious meal options. Against this background — and the results of an independent poll that shows the majority of the public is not averse to eating it — there is a golden opportunity to promote more game.
The poll, commissioned by the Countryside Alliance, threw up some interesting results. Though 85 per cent of people said they had never bought partridge or pheasant to cook at home, when asked for three reasons why, only 14 per cent of the group said it was because they opposed game shooting while seven per cent said it was because of lead.
In contrast, 35 per cent think game is “not the sort of food I eat”, 31 per cent have never even considered eating it, 27 per cent have never seen it on offer where they shop, 18 per cent think it is too expensive and 17 per cent don’t eat it because they don’t know how to cook it. It is obvious that game needs a dollop of the “Jamie Oliver effect”.
Countryside Alliance head of shooting Liam Stokes said: “This polling shows the huge potential market for game meat; 85 per cent of people are not buying game to cook at home, but the vast majority of these people are ready to be convinced to give game a try.
“Interestingly, these results are true everywhere; there is no ruralurban divide. People in London, for example, are just as open to trying game as people in the countryside. This is why we are so enthusiastic about the launch of the British Game Alliance (see p.9).
“We need a professional, industry-driven marketing board to get out there and help people realise that game is for everyone, to help get game on the shelves at a reasonable price and to show people how to cook it. Initiatives like our own Game-to-eat have achieved so much already, but this research shows us we have done it with only 15 per cent of the population on board. Imagine what we can achieve if we can motivate the remaining 85 per cent,” he concluded.
The polling was undertaken by ORB on behalf of the Countryside Alliance in April 2018.
“We need to get game on the shelves at a reasonable price and to show people how to cook it”
Information on and recipes for cooking game would help motivate people to try it