Moors hit rock bot­tom with 4- goal home loss

Solihull News - - SPORT -

SOLI­HULL Moors suc­cumbed to their heav­i­est de­feat of the sea­son on Satur­day, in what turned out to be Richard Money’s fi­nal game in charge.

As much as bot­tom- of- the- ta­ble Moors’ de­feat to Fylde was a con­se­quence of poor de­fend­ing at key times – two goals on the stoke of half- time tipped a fairly even first pe­riod in the favour of the vis­i­tors – Money pointed out the qual­ity of the op­po­si­tion and sug­gested Dave Challi­nor’s side are pro­mo­tion win­ners in the mak­ing.

Money saluted full- timers Fylde for their de­fen­sive se­cu­rity, their stran­gling or­gan­i­sa­tion and their ruth­less­ness in front of goal.

“I’m not a ma­gi­cian. We are where we are for a rea­son,” said Money. “It’s tough and I knew it was go­ing to be tough when I came in. Against Guise­ley last week we played OK but de­fended poorly. Then we go to Eastleigh in mid­week and we were ex­cel­lent. I was proud of us.

“Then we play a very, very good team in Fylde. Am I sur­prised at what’s hap­pened to us? Not re­ally, if I’m hon­est. We’re de­vel­op­ing, we’re get­ting there but it takes time.

“I don’t think there are as many teams in this league that are as or­gan­ised and as tough to play against as Fylde. I said to Dave at the end that I think they will go up. They were ex­cel­lent. But Dave has had the team to­gether for a while, he had the group in pre- sea­son and that’s when you do all your work.”

If any­thing, Moors edged a first half with few clear chances against Fylde but the first goal in such en­coun­ters is cru­cial and it fell to the vis­i­tors on 44 min­utes. A cor­ner from Sam Fin­ley bounced to Jonny Smith for a pre­ci­sion fin­ish from 14 yards past keeper Nick Townsend.

Be­fore Moors could re­cover, it was 2- 0 when a 35- yard free- kick from Danny Rowe took a de­flec­tion to flash past Townsend.

The Coast­ers were for­tu­nate to have a two- goal cush­ion but Moors only had more mis­for­tune past the hour when Jer­maine Hyl­ton forced home the loose ball af­ter keeper Jay Lunch par­ried an Ash­ley Sam­mons’ free- kick, only for the as­sis­tant ref­eree to sig­nal off­side.

In­stead Fylde showed their qual­ity with a counter- at­tack on 76 min­utes for 3- 0. Ser­hat Tas­demir hared down the right and Rowe flicked on for skip­per Fin­ley to race in un­marked to fin­ish con­fi­dently.

Jack Mul­doon made it 4- 0 three min­utes from time af­ter Tas­demir pro­duced more trick­ery.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.