South Wales Echo - - FRONT PAGE - OLIVER MILNE Reporter echo.news­desk@waleson­line.co.uk

A CARDIFF-BASED GP has taken to Face­book to high­light the state of Welsh ac­ci­dent and emer­gency de­part­ments after she waited 15 hours with­out get­ting ac­cess to a bed or trol­ley.

Keziah Maizey, 37, went to the A&E unit at Univer­sity Hospi­tal Wales on Tues­day evening after half her face be­came paral­ysed and she felt weak­ness in an arm and a leg.

The GP – who prac­tises in Llandaff North – was left wait­ing in a chair for 15 hours when she posted on Face­book.

Her hus­band Ben dubbed Wales’ Health Min­is­ter Vaughan Gething’s claim the service was not in cri­sis as a “joke”.

Writ­ing to fam­ily and friends she said: “There is an NHS cri­sis and I am liv­ing it right now.”

The mother of two said after be­ing admitted, there were not enough beds and there wasn’t even a place for her to sit down.

She waited six hours be­fore she was given painkillers.

“There weren’t enough chairs for me to sit on even with paral­y­sis. When I did get one, my hus­band had to sit on the floor next to me for hours as nowhere else to go.

“Sat in a cu­bi­cle-sized space with seven other peo­ple for a while squeezed in like cat­tle. When I was moved to be ex­am­ined I went to sit back in a chair and some­one else was now sat there.”

Per­haps most shock­ing of all when Dr Maizey asked nurses where she could sit down, they as­sumed her slur was due to drink and not paral­y­sis.

“When I asked nurs­ing staff where could I sit they as­sumed I was drunk be­cause of my slurred speech and wob­bly walk and told me they were busy and not to bother them,” Dr Maizey said.

Tak­ing to so­cial me­dia yes­ter­day morn­ing, Dr Maizey said she had been in the depart­ment 15 hours and had still not been of­fered a bed.

She de­scribed the scene at the UHW say­ing: “There are no beds or trol­leys. I have been sat in a chair for the whole time. Six hours it took to get painkillers. There are peo­ple ev­ery­where writhing in pain, vom­it­ing. Trol­leys lined up in the cor­ri­dors with frail el­derly con­fused peo­ple shout­ing.

“This is the re­al­ity of our cur­rent emer­gency health­care. I am here in it right now and it is frankly danger­ous and cruel.”

Dr Maizey’s hus­band Ben took to Twit­ter to high­light his wife’s plight.

“There is no room to even stand next to my fright­ened wife and hold her hand,” he tweeted.

He shared a text his wife had sent him where she de­scribes cry­ing be­cause of the treat­ment she re­ceived and hav­ing a “melt­down”.

The text read: “It’s aw­ful. I started cry­ing and they spoke to me like I was a drunk be­cause my speech was slurred. Am just in a bay now. I’m ok.”

Mr Maizey had to leave his wife yes­ter­day morn­ing to drop their chil­dren off at school. He then tweeted: “Still here! A Dr has asked if things have got worse but pain is be­ing ex­ag­ger­ated by tired­ness and emo­tion.”

Steve Curry, in­terim chief op­er­at­ing of­fi­cer at Cardiff and Vale Univer­sity Health Board said: “As with all hospi­tal, the Univer­sity Hospi­tal of Wales is cur­rently ex­pe­ri­enc­ing a high pa­tient de­mand within its Ur­gent and Emer­gency As­sess­ment Units.

“Un­for­tu­nately, this has re­sulted in longer wait­ing times for some pa­tients – for which we apol­o­gise.

“In re­sponse to in­creas­ing de­mand, and in ac­cor­dance with the health board’s win­ter plan, we have opened ad­di­tional hospi­tal bed ca­pac­ity to cope with this pressure.

“Al­though our as­sess­ment units are ex­tremely busy, we can as­sure pa­tients and their fam­i­lies that the service is safe and ad­e­quately staffed.

“De­spite the chal­lenges of in­creased de­mand, ur­gent and emer­gency pa­tient re­fer­rals con­tinue to be pri­ori­tised for treat­ment ac­cord­ing to a clin­i­cal triage process – for which our staff are highly trained.

“We urge mem­bers of the pub­lic to use other health­care ser­vices avail­able such as phar­ma­cies, op­ti­cians and mi­nor in­juries units – where their con­di­tion is not an emer­gency.”

Cardiff GP Keziah Maizey was left wait­ing for 15 hours at A&E at the Univer­sity Hospi­tal of Wales after half her face be­came paral­ysed

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.