Subway under the Ely River
A workman poses for the camera with the Greathead Shield – which was used in the construction of the subway under the Ely.
Work started on its construction in 1899 and it was completed in 1900.
When Cardiff and Penarth docks were thriving, the tunnel gave dockers a shortcut between the two areas for decades.
A toll keeper – who collected a penny from pedestrians, two-pence for a bicycle and fourpence for a pram – was last employed there in 1937.
Both entrances were finally bricked up in 1965.