FAM­ILY’S PLEA AF­TER DEV­AS­TAT­ING CITY FIRE

South Wales Echo - - FRONT PAGE - WILL HAY­WARD Re­porter

A MOTHER and her two sons suf­fered burns try­ing to save their beloved dog af­ter a fire tore through their home on Bon­fire Night.

Pen­sioner Man­jitkaur Singh and her sons Charn­jeet and Dil were taken to hos­pi­tal in the early hours of Novem­ber 5 af­ter their home on North Road, Cardiff, caught fire.

Their dog Rocky was un­able to es­cape and was killed in the blaze, as pre­vi­ously re­ported in the South Wales Echo last week.

The fam­ily are now stay­ing with their friend Ja­cob, who set up a fundrais­ing page.

Ja­cob told the story of how the fam­ily tried to save Rocky, an Amer­i­can bull­dog.

He said: “My mate Dil woke up to a fire on his bed. Quickly get­ting up, he chucked the blan­ket into the bath­tub and start­ing scream­ing ‘fire’ to the rest of his fam­ily.

“They all bolted up to see his whole room ablaze and just mak­ing sure ev­ery­one was out of the room and was safe be­fore re­al­is­ing one of the dogs was miss­ing.

“It was Rocky, one of the pup­pies of the house, who was al­ways jump­ing up at peo­ple, full of love for her own­ers and she ab­so­lutely loved chil­dren.

“Rocky was al­ways ter­ri­fied of fire­works and was hid­ing un­der the bed. It was her safe place, as we used to call it, from the fire­work ex­plo­sions go­ing on out­side.”

Man­jitkaur and her sons suf­fered burns try­ing to get Rocky out of the room, but were un­able save her.

“It is heart­break­ing,” said Ja­cob. “With all the mem­o­ries and over half of the house de­stroyed, the mother who is al­most 70 try­ing to get into the room to save her puppy and ended up burn­ing her hands and one of the sons burn­ing his face and foot just try­ing to get her out of the fire.”

The out­side of the house in North Road, Cardiff

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.