South Wales Echo - - RESULTS -

NEW­PORT CO 2-1 SWINDON MIKE Flynn was de­lighted to see New­port County bounce back from their dis­ap­point­ing re­sult against Steve­nage to claim a de­served vic­tory over 10-man Swindon Town in League Two.

Padraig Amond opened the scor­ing with a stun­ning vol­ley and Ben Tozer dou­bled the lead with a header be­fore the break.

But play-off hope­fuls Swindon clawed their way back with a strike from sub­sti­tute Paul Mullin af­ter Donal McDer­mott had struck the wood­work, be­fore a sec­ond yel­low card for Wales youth in­ter­na­tional Rollin Me­nayese killed off their come­back.

Mickey Demetriou, Frank Nou­ble and Tozer had fur­ther chances to add the score­line, but the hosts coasted to vic­tory in the fi­nal stages.

“The play­ers were back to what we do well and the things we work on in train­ing,” said Ex­iles boss Flynn.

“They did ev­ery­thing we asked of them and it should have been a cou­ple more at half­time. I thought we were su­perb in the first half.”

How­ever, Flynn was frus­trated with the de­fend­ing that led to Swindon’s goal.

“It was an­other poor goal that we con­ceded and we didn’t kill them off, even though we had enough chances,” Flynn added.

The Ex­iles need to pick up max­i­mum points from their re­main­ing five games if they are to make a late bid for the play-offs.

MERTHYR TOWN 4-1 KINGS LAN­G­LEY MERTHYR ran out com­fort­able win­ners against Kings Lan­g­ley in their penul­ti­mate home game of the sea­son.

The vic­tory came largely due to two goals from striker Ryan Prosser, but Merthyr will also recog­nise the con­tri­bu­tion of 16-year-old goal­keeper Ed He­wit­son, who saved a penalty af­ter 34 min­utes.

Ash­ley Evans gave Merthyr the best pos­si­ble start, putting them ahead in­side the open­ing minute. Kings Lan­g­ley went close to an equaliser when Kieran Turner rat­tled the wood­work at the other end, with his 20-yard shot touched onto the cross­bar by He­wit­son.

When Evans and the vis­i­tors’ Mitchell Weiss wres­tled each other to the ground at a cor­ner, ref­eree Phil Stayn­ings pointed to the spot.

But He­wit­son beat out Steve Ward’s penalty and just two min­utes later Merthyr broke quickly with Ian Tray­lor feed­ing Prosser and the striker cut in­side be­fore drilling the ball past Ben­nett into the bot­tom cor­ner.

Just be­fore half-time, Prosser made it 3-0 fol­low­ing good play be­tween Tray­lor and Harry Franklin.

The vis­i­tors did pull a goal back when Weiss slipped the ball past He­wit­son.

But, it was ap­pro­pri­ate that Merthyr had the fi­nal word, Jar­rad Wright head­ing in Corey Jenk­ins’ cross af­ter 79 min­utes.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.