Ladies go for all out power to dom­i­nate Work­ing­ton

Southport Visiter - - Film Reviews - SOUTH­PORT LADIES ...........................102 WORK­ING­TON........................................... 7

ON a very cold Sun­day af­ter­noon South­port Ladies took on Work­ing­ton in only their sec­ond game since Christ­mas.

Cap­tain Lauren McCluskey showed the ladies meant busi­ness, tak­ing a quick penalty five me­ters out and putting the first try on the board in less than two min­utes.

From the Work­ing­ton restart Emma Bari­sio com­pleted a surg­ing run of over half the pitch and off-loaded per­fectly in the tackle to re­lease the sup­port­ing Faye Dag­nall to score their sec­ond try with less than four min­utes played. Again from the Work­ing­ton restart, Steph Wright scored her first try of four for the af­ter­noon.

Work­ing­ton fought back and put South­port on the back foot briefly, a Work­ing­ton maul in the 22 be­ing brought down by South­port led to a penalty be­ing given, af­ter some well worked ma­noeu­vres Work­ing­ton man­aged to break through the strong South­port de­fence and score their one and only try of the af­ter­noon, which was fol­lowed by a su­perb con­ver­sion out wide.

South­port con­tin­ued to break through the Work­ing­ton de­fence and this re­sulted in two tries in quick suc­ces­sion for cen­tre Emily Bick­er­staffe. Gemma Hurst then scored her first try of a hat-trick on the day un­der the posts, af­ter a se­ries of well ex­e­cuted for­wards phases by Port which showed ex­actly how clin­i­cal they can be. The re­main­der of the first half con­tin­ued the same way with tries com­ing from Katie Hussey, Re­becca Drescher, plus two more for Wright. The half ended with Bick­er­staffe re­leas­ing a per­fectly timed pass to the on­com­ing full-back Meghan Mont­gomery to score the first of her hat-trick.

The sec­ond half started qui­etly with the break­through for South­port com­ing af­ter eight min­utes, with a su­perbly ex­e­cuted steal in a ruck by Louise Gray and the ball be­ing re­leased out wide for speedy Stav Wil­liams for her to get her name on the score­sheet.

Five min­utes later, flanker Zoe Cor­field made a surg­ing drive, fend­ing off nu­mer­ous de­fend­ers to per­fectly off­load the ball so it could be switched across the field al­low­ing Hurst to place her sec­ond.

A com­bi­na­tion of a force­ful run by Gray for her to pop the ball off into Mont­gomery’s hands, af­ter an ex­quis­ite line saw her through to score again.

Mont­gomery scored an­other less than two min­utes later when she picked up the ball from the Work­ing­ton restart and ran over half the length of the pitch through the de­fence, com­plet­ing her hat-trick.

De­spite there only be­ing five min­utes left South­port showed no signs of slow­ing down, with the whole team work­ing to­gether, con­tin­u­ing to drive for­ward and us­ing the ball well, re­leased Wright in space for her fourth. Hurst had the last say in pro­ceed­ings to com­plete her hat-trick.

Images by An­gus Mathe­son

South­port sec­onds in ac­tion against Fleetwood

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.