Drunken yob ‘could have killed man in street’

Southport Visiter - - Visiter Active -

Jail­ing Rafferty for two years, Recorder Turner said that he had been to a bar­be­cue in Southport that night and then stayed in the town drinking.

“I have no doubt you were vi­o­lently drunk that night,” he said.

“You were with two friends and you were ob­vi­ously look­ing for trou­ble and were seen by Mr Hud­son, who was a most im­pres­sive wit­ness and I com­mend him for his ev­i­dence, what he did that night and for his as­sis­tance to the crim­i­nal jus­tice sys­tem.”

Mr Hud­son, a non-drinker, saw ag­i­tated Rafferty bare-chested af­ter throw­ing his T-shirt to the floor dur­ing an ar­gu­ment with an­other man be­fore they shook hands. Shortly af­ter­wards he saw him and Mr Gar­nett swing­ing punches and Rafferty knocked his vic­tim to the ground and walked off a short dis­tance.

Con­cerned, Mr Hud­son took out his phone and be­gan film­ing and saw Rafferty re­turn and “de­lib­er­ately, forcibly kick to the head of the un­con­scious man,” said the judge.

“Two girls were seen try­ing to pre­vent you from this vi­o­lence but you pushed them aside be­cause you were in­tent on caus­ing dam­age, which you did.”

The vic­tim suf­fered a cut to his head, soft tis­sue dam­age to his face and three teeth were knocked out.

He told how he has had to pay £700 for new crowns, lost £2,000 while off work for a month and is wary about go­ing out “be­cause he could not be­lieve how any­one could be at­tacked so eas­ily with­out provo­ca­tion”.

He had also gone to work in Corn­wall for four months as he was afraid of en­coun­ter­ing the de­fen­dant.

Rafferty had made no com­ment when in­ter­viewed af­ter he had sobered up. He was picked out on an iden­tity pa­rade by Mr Hud­son two months later and again made no com­ment when in­ter­viewed again.

The judge said that he had been “play­ing the sys­tem” by claim­ing in court that he had an alibi but had not been be­lieved by the jury.

Rafferty, of Glovers Lane, Nether­ton, has two pre­vi­ous con­vic­tions for as­sault­ing his for­mer part­ner, the first in­volv­ing knock­ing her to the ground and kick­ing her. It was while on li­cence from a 21-month sentence af­ter the sec­ond as­sault on her in 2015 that the lat­est of­fence took place.

Char­lotte Pringle, de­fend­ing, said that job­less Rafferty is “a very dif­fer­ent man” to­day. He has two chil­dren who had been liv­ing with their mum but she no longer had re­spon­si­bil­ity for them and so he and his mother have joint cus­tody of them.

“He un­der­stands the sentence the court is likely to pass but he feels that their mother has left them and now he is go­ing to leave them though he ac­cepts it is no­body’s fault but his own. He wants to be a good role model when he comes out.”

Judge Turner told Rafferty: “If you want to help your chil­dren you must stop drinking.”

Ad­dress­ing Rafferty’s mum in the pub­lic gallery, he said, “I hope you will con­tinue to look af­ter them, it is very good work.”

Daniel Rafferty has been jailed for two years for the vi­cious at­tack

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.