Star Courier (Surrey & Hants) - - FRONT PAGE - By TONY DUFF tms- sport@ trin­i­tymir­ror. com @ GetHamp­shire

AN Ed­die Smith goal gave Farn­bor­ough a hard- fought win over Ayles­bury as they kept the pres­sure on the lead­ers in Di­vi­sion One Cen­tral of the Evo- Stik South­ern League.

Boro’s Joseph Hart­ley cut in from the right for the first chance of the game and made space for a shot which was just off- tar­get and Smith had the ball whipped off his toe as he was about to con­nect.

Nei­ther side was able to dom­i­nate and mis­takes were abun­dant as the teams bat­tled as much with the con­di­tions as with each other at Cherrywood Road.

Ayles­bury only par­tially cleared a Boro’ cor­ner and Smith pounced to put the home side ahead with a strong shot into Kyle Fos­ter’s far cor­ner af­ter 25 min­utes.

Ayles­bury en­joyed a strong spell af­ter fall­ing be­hind and with more clin­i­cal fin­ish­ing would surely have evened things up but Ty Dea­con sliced wide fol­low­ing a cor­ner and Jean­mal Pros­per clev­erly teed up a shot from the edge of the area only for his ef­fort to sail well over.

Just be­fore the break Pros­per was again prom­i­nent and Boro’ skip­per, CJ Fearn de­flected his ef­fort out for a cor­ner from which Jor­dan Jenk­ins’ at­tempt flew well over.

Boro’ re­placed Den­nis Oli with John Oyenuga at the in­ter­val and be­gan the se­cond pe­riod in a lively fash­ion with a wave of at­tacks from the res­tart. Smith came close to a se­cond goal to dou­ble Boro’s lead but the cross­bar de­nied him. Ref­eree Craig Rob­son was mak­ing pro­lific use of his whis­tle and it was clear both sides were frus­trated as the game was re­peat­edly stopped. Boro’s Sam Pearce was booked and there was some hand­bags when Nic Ciar­dini ap­peared to have been brought down but noth­ing was given to the hosts.

Oyenuga put Josh Hug­gins through, but his shot was much too high.

Jack Bar­ton be­came the se­cond Boro’ player to be booked be­fore Oyenuga’s at­tempted pass to Perry Coles fell just short and the chance was gone.

Smith was in­jured with ten min­utes to go and al­though he tried to con­tinue he was clearly strug­gling and was re­placed by Jor­dan Goater on 83 min­utes.

The se­cond half had be­come a dour strug­gle with nei­ther side cre­at­ing much in the way of real chances.

Ayles­bury re­placed Hart­ley with Walker on 85 min­utes and Charlie Hawtin was booked by Mr Rob­son as the clock ticked down on a vi­tal re­sult for Boro.

Pic­tures: Don Bland­ford

Farn­bor­ough whip in a cross at Cherrywood Road where a goal from Ed­die Smith, in­set, proved de­ci­sive

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.