‘E1’ overhaul and revamp at Havenstreet gets go-ahead
The Isle of Wight steam Railway has decided to carry out an ‘in-house’ restoration of its lBsCR ‘e1’ 0-6-0T - and make the major improvements to its engineering facilities that will be needed in order to do so.
Following the outshopping of ‘Terrier’ No. W11 Newport in 2014, the return to service of Ivatt ‘2MT’ 2‑6‑2T No. 41298 this year, and the current overhaul of ‘Austerity’ 0‑6‑0ST No. 198 Royal Engineer, mounting interest in overhauling the ‘E1’ has prompted the submission of a business case to the railway’s board. Initial investigation work on the locomotive has also been undertaken during the last month. “With other pressures, we had to put the ‘E1’ to one side,” says IoWSR General Manager Peter Vail, “but we always had our eye on it after the Ivatt tanks, and now we want to push on with it as soon as possible.” Previously based at the Chasewater and East Somerset Railways, the ex‑ industrial ‘E1’ was acquired from its private owner in 2012, thanks to a generous £650,000 bequest, of which more than £400,000 is still in the bank to put towards its overhaul, and the planned heavy engineering facility that it will require. The IoWSR had previously considered it likely that the Stroudley tank would have to be sent away for a contract overhaul ‑ but it has now been decided to bring forward the plans for an upgraded workshop at Havenstreet that were first put forward in the railway’s ‘Strategic Vision’ of 2009 (see story, right). This will give the railway the capability to undertake the major rebuild that the ‘E1’ is already known to require. Drawings are being prepared for a new boiler to the Marsh design, replacing the life‑ expired Bagnall‑built boiler fitted after the locomotive was sold into industrial service in 1927, working at Cannock Wood Colliery. Although its true identity is No. 110 Burgundy (Southern Railway No. B110), in accordance with the wishes of the benefactor, the engine is to be restored as Isle of Wight example No. W2 Yarmouth, which arrived on the island in July 1932 and was the first to be withdrawn in 1956. Similarly, the new works will also give the IoWSR the ability, in later years, to fulfil its long‑term aspirations of building new examples of extinct island locomotives.
Carrying its new guise as No. W2 Yarmouth, ‘E1’ No. B110 is displayed at Havenstreet on May 18 2013.