Steam hiatus for Golden Valley
The Butterley‑based Golden Valley Light Railway faces a period of operation without a steam locomotive, following the withdrawal of 0‑4‑2IST (inverted saddle tank) Joan for its ten‑year boiler exam in April. Rather than dismantle Joan, the 2ft gauge line has decided to concentrate its efforts on the restoration of its 1914‑built Orenstein & Koppel 0‑4‑0WT No. 7529. Working in a French sand quarry until the 1960s, John Butler bought it for preservation in 1967 and in 1973 sold it to Colin Pealling, who moved it to the Cadeby Light Railway, where, he claimed, it was steamed once. It was moved to Butterley in 1995 and restoration was started in 2007. It was recently re‑wheeled. The GVLR’s second former Ffestiniog Railway‑owned carriage, No. 118, was delivered in December, joining No. 119. No. 118 was transported on the GVLR’s South African bogies, to save having to return the FR’s own bogies to Wales.