Origins: 1874, LYR
1968 steam allocation (19): LMS ‘5MTs’, ‘8Fs’, BR ‘5MTs’
Preserved: 45110, 48773 Closed: July 1 1968 Bolton L&Y shed, the last of several in the town, was just south of Trinity Street station and modernised as recently as 1947. Withdrawn engines were still present for some weeks after the end of steam, but their departure meant that all the buildings were quickly demolished. The whole area is completely unrecognisable, occupied by houses and other developments.
Not worth a visit.
Bolton shed on April 20 1968… Snowplough-fitted ‘8F’ No. 48652 survived until the shed’s closure at the start of July 1968, while ‘5MT’ No. 45260 was transferred to Lostock Hall for the final run-down.