STANIER ‘5MT’ 4-6-0 No. 45407 ‘THE LANCASHIRE FUSILIER’
After a final starring role on the RCTS ‘End of Steam Commemorative Railtour’ of August 4 1968, No. 45407 passed into preservation at Steamtown Carnforth, where it briefly carried a pseudo-Furness Railway Indian Red livery – though the shade was more orange!
It returned to the main line in the 1970s, and from 1975 to 1997 became known as ‘Paddy’s Engine’ after its owner, Paddy Smith. Today it is well known as one of Ian Riley’s main line-registered ‘Black Five’ collection (see also Nos. 44871 and 45212). Plans to replace its frame plates with new steel have been put on the back burner.
Status: Operational Location: Main line Owner: Ian Riley Built: Armstrong Whitworth, September 1937 Withdrawn: Lostock Hall, August 1968
Currently running as No. 45157 The Glasgow Highlander to mark that regiment’s 150th anniversary year, No. 45407 approaches Beasdale No. 2 tunnel with the afternoon ‘Jacobite’ on May 15. Together with the blue smokebox numberplate, a ‘Royal Highlander’...