STANIER ‘8F’ 2-8-0 No. 48151
This ‘8F’ only just qualifies as a 1968 survivor, having been withdrawn in the first month of steam’s final year – although the move that would ensure its survival, to Dai Woodham’s Barry scrapyard, would not take place until the September.
The second ‘8F’ to leave Barry, in November 1975, it was the first ex-BR locomotive to be based at the Embsay Steam Railway, though it had moved on to Butterley by the time its restoration was completed in June 1987.
Today it is the only main line-certified member of its class, and a regular performer on West Coast Railways operations in the north, such as the ‘Dalesmans’ over the ‘Settle & Carlisle’ and the ‘Scarborough Spa Expresses’.
Status: Operational Location: West Coast Railway Co, Carnforth Owner: David Smith Built: Crewe, September 1942 Withdrawn: Northwich, January 1968
The workmanlike lines of Stanier’s ‘8F’ design in profile as No. 48151 crosses Birkett Common with the ‘Dalesman’ on May 22.