Gut­ted Doune left rag­ing as ref­eree adds in­sult to in­jury

Fury as whistler disallows strike at the death

Stirling Observer - - FOOTBALL -

Dum­bar­ton FP .......................... 3 Doune Cas­tle ............................ 2

Sports reporter Doune missed out on a share of the points af­ter an in­jury-time de­ci­sion by the ref­eree de­nied them an equaliser.

Goals ei­ther side of the in­ter­val for Dum­bar­ton, plus a counter with 12 min­utes left looked to have given them all three Cale­do­nian League points.

But Niall Mc­Clure’s penalty on 90 min­utes gave the home side a life­line and with the clock show­ing 94 min­utes, it looked like they had grabbed it.

Alan Inglis’ header looked well over the line as Dum­bar­ton keeper McGil­livray pulled the ball back and flicked it out.

An en­raged Doune were left frus­trated as the ref­eree failed to award the goal and were even more gut­ted when he blew the whis­tle for full-time.

Cas­tle started well, tak­ing the lead in un­der 90 sec­onds. Inglis burst into the penalty area and was brought down. Mc­Clure sent the keeper the wrong way to make it 1-0.

Chances then came at both ends. Inglis and Gra­ham McC­ly­mont went close, while Dum­bar­ton might have equalised when an Ac­cies player skewed his shot. They came even closer shortly af­ter, rat­tling the cross­bar be­fore Kenny Feaks thumped clear.

Dum­bar­ton were gifted their best chance to equalise af­ter 30 min­utes when a shot from an Ac­cies for­ward hit Alan More’s arm and the ref­eree awarded a penalty. But jus­tice was done when Dum­bar­ton hit the post with the spot kick.

They had bet­ter luck in first-half stop­page time when David Innes con­ceded an­other penalty and this time keeper Colin Dormer was left help­less.

Dum­bar­ton edged into a 2-1 lead af­ter 49 min­utes. Doune twice failed to clear down their left flank and Ac­cies took full ad­van­tage to score.

Ac­cies al­most made it 3-1 when, three times in quick suc­ces­sion, they hit the bar and the post as they looked to press their dom­i­nance of pos­ses­sion.

Doune hit back with at­tempts from Inglis and More, but Dum­bar­ton held out and with 78 min­utes played, Cas­tle need­lessly rushed to take a throw-in on the right, deep into Ac­cies ter­ri­tory.

A slack pass saw the home side counter at speed and a third goal en­sued.

With the clock show­ing 90 min­utes, Doune made it 3-2. Colin Dougherty broke into the area and was pulled down and Mc­Clure slammed the ball home to set up the ex­cit­ing fin­ish.

Spot on Niall Mc­Clure (8) scores Doune’s open­ing goal from a penalty

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.