Warn­ing af­ter a spate of ex­trac­tor fan fires

Stockport Express - - News -

A WARN­ING has been given over bath­room ex­trac­tor fans af­ter three house fires in two weeks.

The lat­est hap­pened at a house on Mead­owcroft in Hazel Grove when a fan over­heated.

The fire caused dam­age to the ceil­ing and a fa­ther - who was at home with two chil­dren - put it out with a dry pow­der ex­tin­guisher.

Fire­fight­ers were called to en­sure the flames were fully out and cut away the dam­aged roof. No one was in­jured.

Crews also at­tended a sim­i­lar in­ci­dent, where an ex­trac­tor fan had over­heated, on London Road, Poyn­ton, at 9pm a few days pre­vi­ously.

And the week be­fore fire­fight­ers had been called to a home in Of­fer­ton where an­other fan had caused a small fire.

Each time only a small amount of dam­age was caused but res­i­dents have been told ex­trac­tors must be kept clean and dust free or they may over­heat.

Matt Lewis, from Of­fer­ton fire sta­tion, said: “If flames spread to the loft area with in­su­la­tion in there it could cause a large fire.

“Ex­trac­tor fans need to be kept clean and free of dust and if one is fit­ted it should be done by a qual­i­fied elec­tri­cian.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.