Trial delay for horror smash accused
Hearing told defence expert out of the country
The trial of a bus driver, accused of being at the wheel of a double decker involved in a horror crash in Crieff almost two years ago, has been delayed until next month.
Twenty-six-year-old Stagecoach driver Fraser McGregor, of Brigton Cottage, Glencarse, was to have faced trial at a jury sitting which opened at Perth Sheriff Court on Monday, August 14.
But that has now been put off until September 18.
Perth Sheriff Court was told that the defence wanted to address what were described as “shortcomings” in a report prepared for them by an expert witness.
Mr McGregor has denied driving the bus dangerously in Broich Road, Crieff, on November 6, 2015.
It is alleged that he mounted the pavement, collided with Lena Tocher and pinned her against a wall, causing serious injury.
The defence wanted the trial adjourned out of the latest two-week sheriff and jury sitting.
But Sheriff Gillian Wade said she wasn’t prepared to grant that motion at that point.
Instead, she continued matters until Wednesday morning the same week and meantime said she wanted “urgent steps taken” to address the shortcoming identified by the defence.
Depute fiscal John Malpass said that the Crown opposed the adjournment motion given the lengthy procedural history of the case.
He pointed out that the accused had first appeared in private, charged with dangerous driving, at the Perth court on April 19, 2016.
There had been discussions with the defence, however, which had enabled certain facts to be agreed, thus reducing the number of potential witnesses from 46 to 11.
The court was told on the Wednesday that the defence expert was “out of the country” at the moment and wasn’t expected back until September 11.
In view of the circumstances, Sheriff Wade moved to grant the requested adjournment.