A marine had a little lamb and its fleece was white as snow. But now the marine’s heartbroken because his lamb’s no more
Ex-serviceman builds cairn to his pet
A former marine who adopted an abandoned lamb is heartbroken after the pet was accidentally poisoned.
Mirren became a familiar sight in towns around Ayrshire and Renfrewshire after he was taken in by Jai Gibson, 53.
The former serviceman would take the animal with him to pubs in Kilbirnie and Lochwinnoch, where it was popular with locals.
But the six-month-old lamb died in agony after ingesting weedkiller that had been sprayed onto grass.
Jai, who has buried Mirren close to the mobile home in which he lives near Kilbirnie, spoke of his sadness at the pet’s death.
He said: “Mirren was a great wee guy and everybody loved him.
“He went viral on social media after I adopted him and was a great companion.
“I have built a little cairn to mark the spot where he lies.
“A few people thought it wasn’t right that I kept him as a pet but someone will always complain.
“I took very good care of him and I’m very sad that he’s gone.”
Jai added: “I usually kept him in a field but it was another spot where he accidentally took in the weedkiller, which had been put onto grass.
“I could see something wasn’t right and I rubbed my hands on the grass and realised it had been treated with something.
“I gave him loads of milk to try to nullify the effects but unfortunately he’d no chance.
“He survived for a couple of weeks after he was poisoned but had a horrendous time.
“It got to the stage where I thought about putting him out of his misery but he then passed away.
“He’s buried about 10 yards away from where I stay.
“It was a sad accident but he was much-loved during his short life.”
Mirren became a hit just after he was born when Jai started taking him on walks to local pubs using a dog lead. While Jai had a beer, Mirren would drink formula milk and nibble on daisies at the Commercial pub in Kilbirnie and the Three Churches in Lochwinnoch.
Jai added: “I lived with him from when he was born. He was one of a triplet and his mum just discarded him.
“She was kicking him away and I heard him screaming.
“He was just skin and bone at one point and I thought he was dead. I felt his heart beat and spent four weeks nursing him.
“He was almost six months old and was a good wee pal – everyone is missing him.
“Mirren loved going for walks and getting exercise. He would come with me when I went to the shops.
“He was great company and wagged his tail when happy.
“Ever ybody loved him and wanted their photo taken with him.”
ADORABLE Wee Mirren SADLY MISSED Jai beside cairn. Left, Mirren meets locals on a day out in Ayr