M-way gas leak sparks evacuation
A BUSY motorway service station was evacuated for several hours yesterday because of a gas leak.
It is understood propane escaped from cylinders stored at the site.
The problem at the northbound Leicester Forest East services on the M1 was discovered at 7am.
People and vehicles at the Days Inn hotel on the site were moved to the southbound services. Fire chiefs said a cylinder alarm was sounding and there was a smell of gas.
National Grid and gas engineers were also called.
Northbound services reopened at around 11am. Southbound services were evacuated temporarily.