Stay alert to pre­vent ter­ror­ism

PO­LICE OUT IN FORCE

Sunday Sun - - News - By So­phie Doughty Crime Reporter so­phie.doughty@ncj­me­dia.co.uk

PO­LICE are urg­ing peo­ple to stay vig­i­lant af­ter a ter­ror in­ci­dent brought chaos to the Lon­don trans­port sys­tem.

An im­pro­vised de­vice par­tially ex­ploded on a Dis­trict Line train at Par­sons Green sta­tion dur­ing the Friday morn­ing rush hour, in­jur­ing 30. Three vic­tims re­main in hos­pi­tal, NHS Eng­land said.

In re­sponse, Northum­bria Po­lice has en­sured there is a heavy po­lice pres­ence across the force area.

And, as of­fi­cers moved to re­as­sure the pub­lic that there was no spe­cific threat to the North East, they urged ev­ery­one to stay vig­i­lant and re­port any­thing sus­pi­cious they might see.

As­sis­tant Chief Con­sta­ble Darren Best, of Northum­bria Po­lice, said: “Our of­fi­cers have been highly vis­i­ble across the force area in light of the in­ci­dent at Par­sons Green in Lon­don.

“De­spite that in­ci­dent there is still no in­tel­li­gence of any spe­cific threat to our re­gion and any­one with any con­cerns is en­cour­aged speak to our of­fi­cers who are on pa­trol.

“We would con­tinue to re­mind the pub­lic to re­main vig­i­lant and we would ask any­one who sees any­thing sus­pi­cious to call po­lice on 999 or the anti-ter­ror­ist hot­line on 0800 789 321.”

Armed po­lice watched over spec­ta­tors as Eng­land’s cricket team played at the River­side in Ch­ester-le-Street last night.

Durham Con­stab­u­lary say the armed re­sponse had been planned in ad­vance and was not a re­sponse to the Lon­don at­tack. A Northum­bria Po­lice of­fi­cer pa­trols Northum­ber­land Street in New­cas­tle city cen­tre

An in­creased num­ber of armed of­fi­cers were seen in New­cas­tle city cen­tre af­ter the bomb­ing at Manch­ester Arena in May.

Four peo­ple from the North East were among the 22 peo­ple killed in the blast at an Ari­ana Grande con­cert.

The UK’s ter­ror threat level has been in­creased to ‘crit­i­cal’, mean­ing an at­tack could be im­mi­nent.

Po­lice yes­ter­day ar­rested an 18-year-old man in Dover they sus­pect of be­ing re­spon­si­ble for Friday’s Tube at­tack.

Soon af­ter­wards a house was searched and res­i­dents close to the ad­dress in Sun­bury-onThames, Sur­rey, were evac­u­ated.

The evac­u­a­tion be­gan at 1.40pm fol­low­ing the ar­rest at 7.50am. Scot­land Yard said it was “a pre­cau­tion­ary mea­sure fol­low­ing the ar­rest of a man in Dover”.

Speak­ing af­ter a meet­ing of the Govern­ment’s emer­gency Co­bra com­mit­tee, Home Sec­re­tary Am­ber Rudd said the ar­rest was “very sig­nif­i­cant”, but added: “The op­er­a­tion is on­go­ing.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.