Mystery toxin takes the lives of beloved pets
FRIENDS LOSE THEIR DOGS WITHIN DAYS
TWO dog owners have told of their devastation after their beloved pets died from suspected poisoning.
Sarah Meyer’s nine-month-old cockapoo, Luna, died at the end of August after she fell ill, while Laura Fidler’s bichon frise, Arnie, died on September 7.
Arnie’s sister Daisy also fell sick but is now recovering.
It is thought all three dogs had poison in their bloodstream. It is not known how or where they may have picked up the toxins.
Now their owners are urging others to be aware of potential poisoning symptoms and how quickly dogs can be affected.
Sarah, of Whitley Bay, explained that she and her fiancé had taken Luna and another pet dog Sonny for a walk on August 19.
They went to the beach at Whitley Bay, where the pets played together and also went in the sea before walking towards the lighthouse and on to Seaton Sluice across the bank tops.
That night, both pets “slept like babies” and showed no signs of illness.
However the next day, Luna started suffering with sickness and diarrhoea.
Sarah, 42, said: “Lots of dogs get diarrhoea and sickness so we did what is advised, which was to starve Luna for 24 hours. We thought this had worked as the next evening she picked up and ate her tea and drank some water.”
But on the third day, Luna was vomiting and had diarrhoea again. “Her vomit was not normal; it was clear with some white froth,” said Sarah. “There was no food or bile in it.
“She became lethargic and was not responding to her name. She would look at me with her eyes but with her head turned away.
“She drank some water but immediately it came back up. “I rushed her to the vet.” It was initially suspected Luna had a blockage in her digestive system.
She was put on a drip and a number of tests were carried out. However, no blockage could be seen.
The family were allowed to take Luna home, with an appointment to return in the morning to check her progress. That evening her condition deteriorated and she died in the early hours.
Sarah says it is not known exactly what happened and all Luna’s tests came back clear.
But the vet suspected toxic poisoning. It was suggested the pet may have eaten something that was toxic and that poisoned her bloodstream. Sarah said: “Nothing could have ever prepared me for that awful morning when I found our baby girl sleeping.
“It was just heartbreaking. I can’t describe how I’m feeling other than saying I’m completely broken. It was one of the worst experiences I have had to go through.
“Luna was full of fun, mischief and love, and we are devastated to lose her.”
Meanwhile, Laura, of Wallsend, suffered the loss of four-year-old Arnie.
The dog had not met Luna and was usually walked around Wallsend, in places including the Wallsend Parks.
He also had sickness and diarrhoea, and became disorientated before he died.
Laura, 22, said: “I was told that Arnie had toxic poisoning. There were toxins in his bloodstream.
“We can’t say where he might have picked it up. It could have been anywhere. But his sister Daisy also started to get sick. She had tests and they found toxins in her kidneys. “She is currently on antibiotics.” Both women urged pet owners to remain vigilant and advised them to get help as quickly as possible if their dogs fall ill.
Sarah said: “Don’t just presume sickness and diarrhoea.
“You know your dog better than anyone. If your dog is not well, if you have a tiny inkling that something is not right, please just go to the vet.
“There may be a better chance of survival if your dog is treated early.
“I would hate for anybody else to go through what I went through.”
And Laura added: “We hope that by telling our stories, it will help others.” it’s Laura Fidler’s dog Arnie and Sarah Meyer with Luna, who met the same fate as Arnie