Cinema evac­u­ated in elec­tri­cal fire

Sunderland Echo - - News -

Around 250 peo­ple were evac­u­ated from Sun­der­land’s Em­pire Cinema af­ter a fire last night.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice was called to the cinema in Lambton Street shortly be­fore 6.30pm.

Ap­pli­ances from Mar­ley Park and Sun­der­land Cen­tral sta­tions dealt with a fire in an elec­tri­cal cup­board.

Two fire­fight­ers us­ing breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus and CO2 ex­tin­guish­ers tack­led the blaze.

The cause of the blaze is cur­rently be­ing in­ves­ti­gated. A state­ment posted on the cinema’s Face­book page:“We will post fur­ther up­dates and de­tails for claim­ing re­funds for can­celled shows asap to­mor­row. We will not be able to re­ply to in­di­vid­ual posts via Face­book / Twit­ter etc.”

The scene last night. Pic: Zoe Downs

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.