ays are beginning to shorten, and over the next few weeks, signs that autumn is here will set in. Leaves will be turning that beautiful golden brown and parks will be filled with an abundance of rustic colours.
And while it’s important your pet enjoys the outdoors during the changing seasons, it’s essential to be aware of some of the harmful plants that can cause pets to become very unwell.
Pets are naturally inquisitive, especially if they’re young, so knowing what to avoid is crucial to keep them away from harm.
PDSA vet Rebecca Ashman provides her tips on keeping your pets safe from toxic plants.
It’s important to recognise which autumnal plants are poisonous as accidently eating them can cause pets to suffer from sickness, and in severe cases, can be fatal.
Steering clear of these plants will avoid any upset stomachs – or worse – from happening at all. Poisonous plants to avoid:
They are very toxic if eaten by pets, as their tannic acid affects the liver and kidneys. Unripe, green acorns are even more harmful.
Every part of this tree is poisonous to pets and even eating a few leaves can be serious. They are often found in churchyards so keep your eyes peeled.
Their bark, leaves, flowers, and conkers are all poisonous to pets. crocuses have pale mauve, pink or white flowers in autumn and all parts of the plant are potentially toxic.
“When out walking this autumn, it’s crucial to be aware of any dangerous plants and trees that might cause harm to your pet,” says Rebecca.
“Keep a close eye on them, and try to walk your dog somewhere you know is clear of toxic plants.
“Vomiting, diarrhoea, shaking and breathing problems are all signs that your pet might have eaten a poisonous plant,” adds Rebecca.
“If your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t, then take them straight to the vets as an emergency.
“The quicker you act, the quicker vets can provide essential treatment.”
For more information on keeping your pet safe from harmful plants this autumn, visit the PDSA’s website – www.pdsa.org.uk/poisons-and-hazards.