Plaque pays tribute to Kenwood founder
manufacturing and engineering innovation, as it continues to do today.”
Ken Wood was born in London in 1916, and after serving as an RAF engineer during the Second World War, set up the Kenwood Manufacturing Company. Within a few years, he became one of Britain’s youngest millionaires.
His products were popular with housewives of the time as he identified the tasks that gave them the most work, and then designed machines to do those jobs for them.
Kenwood was taken over in 1968 by Thorn Electrical Industries, but Mr Wood retained an interest in the company for the rest of his life. He died in Liphook, Hampshire, in 1997 aged 81.
In honour of the 70th anniversary of the workshop’s opening, The Lightbox museum in Woking is staging an exhibition on Ken Wood’s life and works until October 29.
At the official unveiling of the Kenneth Wood blue plaque, the Mayor of Woking, Cllr Graham Cundy, with John Wood, Pat Wood and Gilly Wood
The blue plaque remembering Kenneth Wood