Late goal sends tame Chert­sey out of FA Vase

Surrey Advertiser - - Front Page -

A LACK­LUS­TRE per­for­mance from Chert­sey Town saw them dumped out of the FA Vase by their hosts Mile Oak on Satur­day.

An ini­tial three-minute oc­cu­pa­tion of the Mile Oak half came to an end when Chert­sey goal­keeper Chico Ramos was called into early ac­tion, sav­ing a header from Joe Benn.

This was the cat­a­lyst for the hosts to take con­trol and they did so, rarely al­low­ing Chert­sey an op­por­tu­nity on goal. On 25 min­utes, shape­less de­fend­ing from Chert­sey al­lowed a ball through to the home side’s Enzo Benn, who fin­ished from close range to give Mile Oak a de­served lead.

Bekele Makudi made the best progress for Chert­sey Town and came clos­est to scor­ing an equaliser with a far post vol­ley that flew just wide, but mis­placed passes and in­de­ci­sion go­ing for­ward hin­dered any fur­ther at­tempts be­fore half time.

Early sec­ond half pres­sure from the vis­i­tors was re­warded when Shel­ton Gooden put the ball across the Mile Oak goal­mouth for Makudi to tap in, bring­ing Chert­sey back in the game.

How­ever, any thoughts of adding to their tally evap­o­rated as the Sus­sex side showed more of the ini­tia­tive that saw them dom­i­nate the first half.

De­spite Chert­sey’s lack of con­cen­tra­tion Mile Oak were not able to put the ball into the net and, with ex­tra time loom­ing, the vis­i­tors were still hold­ing on.

That was un­til a low ball was played into the crowded Chert­sey penalty area by Michael Gould.

Some­how it rolled past ev­ery­one in the box and lamely into the net to hand Mile Oak vic­tory in the 88th minute.

Jake Dar­ling, SA164609

Chert­sey’s Shel­ton Gooden (pic­tured here leap­ing for the ball against Knaphill last sea­son) was one of the few play­ers to stand out in last week­end’s FA Vase loss to Mile Oak, set­ting up Chert­sey’s equaliser for Bekele Makudi

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.