Con­sis­tency key as Reid’s men come un­stuck again

Surrey Herald/News - - FOOTBALL -

Ryman Di­vi­sion 1 South Car­shal­ton Ath­letic 1 Walton & Her­sham 0

A FIRST visit to Col­ston Av­enue in eight years ended in de­feat for Walton & Her­sham. They never re­ally got go­ing in a scrappy match, strug­gling to cre­ate chances against op­po­nents who were hard-work­ing but dis­tinctly beat­able. Robins’ goal­keeper Jack Eden had just two shots to deal with in the match, the sec­ond com­ing three min­utes from the end of the sched­uled 90, as his side made it five in a row un­beaten at home. While their own re­cent home form has been good, Swans have strug­gled to score goals away from Stom­pond Lane, just one com­ing in their last four matches on the road, and three in the last six. The home side started the bet­ter against the again un­changed vis­i­tors, and after five min­utes Mickel Miller crossed from the left to the far post for Ricardo Pan­ton to get in a down­ward header that was eas­ily taken by Swans’ keeper Gary Ross. Ross was then for­tu­nate when Jor­dan Clarke drove the ball in from the right and it ran across goal and just wide as Joshua Sil­vera nar­rowly failed to get a touch at the near post. Swans’ first ef­fort came when Do­minic Ogun got for­ward on the left, but his shot from 25 yards out was too high. Tarome Hem­mings then played in a free kick from deep and Gareth Chend­lik was able to force a cor­ner on the right. After 20 min­utes Jahmahl King seemed to be the vic­tim of a stray el­bow and had to leave the pitch to have a cut head ban­daged, leav­ing Swans play­ing with 10 men for five min­utes while he needed run­ning re­pairs again later.

It took un­til the 35th minute for Swans to muster their first ef­fort on goal as An­drew Mensah cut in from the left to drive in a good shot that Eden saved at his near post. But it was Car­shal­ton who scored the only goal of the contest three min­utes later when Miller swung over a cor­ner from the right and when Sil­vera nod­ded the ball on Tommy Brad­ford had the sim­ple task of head­ing in from almost on the line at the far post. Swans forced three suc­ces­sive cor­ners on the right after the break, but all, taken by Ogun, failed to cre­ate open­ings. Dy­lan Cas­coe re­placed Hem­mings after 57 min­utes and Swans soon brought on 17-yearold youth team prod­uct Jake Bed­ford for Chend­lik. They almost went two down as Clarke was al­lowed to make a run in on the left, and Ross had to turn his shot wide of the near post. It was Cas­coe who might have earned his team a point on another day. With 20 min­utes re­main­ing he put in a ter­rific cross from the left, but both Bed­ford and Ver­non Fran­cis just failed to get their head to the ball at the far post. And Cas­coe might have done bet­ter with Mensah’s cen­tre with three min­utes re­main­ing, his header lack­ing power as Eden man­aged to pre­vent it from cross­ing the line.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.