SURREY THROUGH TIME
– Founding of Chertsey Abbey, later mentioned in Shakespeare’s Richard III.
– Athelstan, regarded as the first King of England, is crowned at Kingston.
– William de Warenne is created Earl of Surrey by William the Conqueror.
– Waverley Abbey is founded, becoming the first Cistercian abbey in England.
– The sealing of Magna Carta by King John at Runnymede.
– Widespread unrest in Surrey during the Peasants’ Revolt.
– Work begins on the construction of Nonsuch Palace for Henry VIII.
– Farnham Castle captured by Parliamentarians during the English Civil War.
– Brookwood Cemetery, the UK’S largest, is established near Woking.
– Consecration of Guildford Cathedral, the construction of which began in 1935.