It’s a knock­out win for Brod­ick

The Arran Banner - - Sport -

Satur­day af­ter­noon saw the sun come out in Brod­ick for the fi­nale of the Ar­ran foot­ball sea­son in front of a de­cent crowd at Or­mi­dale Park.

Old ri­vals Brod­ick and Lam­lash went head to head for the new-look Cop­per­wheats Knock­out Cup.

John Cop­per­wheat has very gen­er­ously taken on the spon­sor­ship of the fi­nal com­pe­ti­tion of the year and pro­vided a beau­ti­ful new tro­phy and plenty of re­fresh­ments for both teams.

Lam­lash started the game miss­ing two key play­ers with Sam Tat­ters­field and Fraser Thom­son un­avail­able. This paved the way for James Todd and Danny Cur­rie to make their Lam­lash come­backs. Brod­ick had a strong team and were on a high af­ter win­ning the league.

It didn’t take long un­til Brod­ick went 1-0 up af­ter Archie McNi­col’s shot was un­char­ac­ter­is­ti­cally spilled by David Heenan in the Lam­lash goal. Af­ter 15 min­utes it was 2-0 with cen­tre mid­fielder Tony McDowall get­ting the goal.

Bab­bies MacNeil and Todd Jame­son were hav­ing a heated bat­tle any­time the ball came near them and Bab­bies was the first to over­step the mark and was given a yel­low card for re­peated foul­ing. Five min­utes later Todd com­mit­ted a pro­fes­sional foul on Bab­bies and also put him-

self in the book. The yel­low card did not phase Bab­bies and he was on hand to hit the back of the net to put Brod­ick 3-0 up go­ing into half-time. Brod­ick’s Toby Wing­ham was booked just be­fore half-time af­ter a late chal­lenge on Johnny Sloss.

Lam­lash came out from half-time and looked a bet­ter team as they man­aged to string some passes to­gether and they were fi­nally re­warded when James Todd flicked in a cross to make it 3-1.

Lam­lash started to push more boys for­ward with Danny Cur­rie and Johnny Sloss mak­ing a lot of runs and try­ing to in­spire their team mates.

This high risk style then led to Brod­ick be­ing danger­ous on the counter and it wasn’t long be­fore Archie started ex­ploit­ing the gaps in the Lam­lash de­fence. He scored twice in three min­utes tak­ing the score to 5-1 and killing the game off.

The goal of the game came as Toby picked the ball up in the mid­dle of the pitch, beat two men be­fore smash­ing the ball into the top cor­ner of the goal off the in­side of the post.

Lam­lash were bat­tered and bruised with a cou­ple of their boys go­ing down in­jured in the last cou­ple of min­utes be­fore Danny Head sounded the fi­nal whis­tle.

Danny gave Archie man of the match. De­spite a slow start Archie played his way into the game and was al­most un­stop­pable with his runs up front.

The as­so­ci­a­tion would like to thank John Cop­per­wheat for tak­ing up the spon­sor­ship of the cup and for be­ing on hand to present the tro­phy to Brod­ick cap­tain Matthew Dob­son.


John Cop­per­wheat presents the new Knock­out Cup to Brod­ick cap­tain Matthew Dob­son.


Fancy foot­work by Lam­lash player Johnny Sloss sees him slip past his op­po­nent.


Brod­ick cap­tain Matthew Dob­son show­ers the ju­bi­lant win­ners with cham­pagne.


Adam McNi­col sur­veys the field be­fore pass­ing the ball.


Brod­ick goal scorer Bab­bies MacNeil tus­sles with the op­po­si­tion to lay claim to the ball.


Sean Hig­gins drives the ball for­ward for his Lam­lash team mates.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.