Autumn leaves in city’s Leazes Park, 1963
AUTUMN is here - the “season of mists and mellow fruitfulness” as beautifully described by the poet, Keats.
He might well have added the words “... and falling leaves”.
Our photograph from 55 years ago shows a gardener at Newcastle’s Leazes Park doing his best to sweep them up.
The region’s very first public park dates back 145 years.
The folk of Newcastle first wandered into newly opened Leazes Park two days before Christmas, 1873.
Many of the region’s fine public parks emerged around that time amid the smoke and noise of Victorian industrialisation, on land often bestowed by wealthy, land-owning philanthropists.
Taking 16 years to complete, it was provided for the ‘working men of Newcastle-upon-Tyne and its vicinity’ that they should be granted ‘ready access to some open ground for the purpose of health and recreation’.
In 2004, the park was restored to its former glory following a £4.9m revamp.
Work included the reintroduction of ornamental gateways and boundary railings, tree planting and the restoration of the lake.
A gardener sweeps up autumn leaves at Leazes Park, Newcastle, October 14, 1963