End of era for historic pub
HE was one of Tyneside’s most famous adopted sons, who raised a volunteer army against French invasion in 1784.
But now a pub named in his honour may be flattened and replaced by homes.
The Colonel Linskill, on Charlotte Street, North Shields, has been closed for several years.
The pub, which dates back to the mid-1800s, was named after the first mayor of Tynemouth, William Linskill. It is understood the premises was rebuilt in the 1930s and had a couple of name changes over the years before reverting to the Colonel Linskill.
Plans have now been drawn up to turn it into a shop on the ground floor, with offices above.
Ostfeld Ltd have submitted a planning application to North Tyneside Council asking for permission to change the use of the building.
The planning documents say:
“The site was previously a public house but has been vacant for the past six years.
“It has been up for lease/rent for the duration of that time but has failed to gain any interest. The owner has reviewed the demand for local commercial space and is responding accordingly to improve the financial viability of the building.”
If the scheme is approved, the first floor is to be used as office space, which could be rented out as a whole or to individual start-up units.
The top floor, previously used for accommodation, would also have a communal kitchen, meeting room and toilet facilities.
The site was previously a public house but has been vacant for the past six years