Home­owner ad­mits that ‘ev­ery­thing is gone’

The Courier & Advertiser (Angus and The Mearns Edition) - - NEWS -

The 65-year-old owner of the home, who did not want to be named, spoke of his shock after the fire.

He said: “I was in the shower at the time and I smelled smoke.

“I rushed out and saw the elec­tri­cal board was on fire and spark­ing.

“It all hap­pened that fast. “My grand­daugh­ter was up­stairs in the bed­room and I shouted for her to get out. The smoke was so thick, though, and it had spread all over the house. She wasn’t able to get down the stairs.

“The widow cleaner – who I’d just paid mo­ments be­fore I jumped in the shower – must have still had his lad­ders up and helped her out the win­dow. I’m just so glad every­one is all right.”

He added that he had lost ev­ery­thing in the fire and he and his wife would be staying with fam­ily for the fore­see­able future.

“I don’t have any­thing left,” he said. “My wife was at work when it hap­pened. When she came back she couldn’t be­lieve it, she was cry­ing. Ev­ery­thing is gone. I’ve had to bor­row clothes as ev­ery­thing I own has been burnt.

“I have to say all the neigh­bours have been bril­liant. They’ve been a huge help.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.