Life after Uber
1. ‘I said judge’s house, not Manor House!’ Nicole Scherzinger, Pussycat Doll turned X Factor judge, is a long way from home.
2. Why did Rihanna take the Tube instead of walking? ’Cos she’d forgotten her umbrella-ella-ella…
3. Pippa Matthews, née Middleton, disembarks from her bike in London last month. Her forthcoming book, Cycle: A Year of Two-Wheeled Transport with Family and Friends, 416pp, is out now. £130.
4. You can tell it’s Jon Snow riding the bike in front of you because he often leans to the left.
5. Rocco Ritchie, son of Madonna and Guy, would like to star in the kind of car chase that features in his father’s films. For now, though, the 17-year-old will have to make do with a push bike.
Back to black
6. Karlie Kloss, the Chicagoborn model, fingers her plait nervously back in February as she finds out exactly what her cab driver thinks of immigration.
7. ‘What kind of cab is the new black?’ mused model Lara Stone as she sped home through the night in May.
The job of the Mayor of London is to solve the problems faced by people living in his city. So in yanking Uber into a headlock and effectively telling it to ‘shape up, OR ELSE’, Sadiq Khan is doing just that – solving a problem we encounter all too frequently. Which is, of course, the difficulty of making chit-chat with cab drivers. For too long we have been limited to asking them how late they’re working and whether they’ve had anyone famous in the car. For too long we have tried to veer away from hot-button topics like immigration, Brexit, and whether everyone’s seat belt is on (‘I’ll… I’ll find it! Can we just go?’). Now, though, that problem is solved. Just start a debate on the ban and hours of cheerful conversation await. Thank me later. — Tom Ough
3 4 5