Why won’t in­surer cover my friend?

The Daily Telegraph - Your Money - - READERS’ LETTERS -

I have a friend stay­ing with me for five weeks and want to add him to my car in­sur­ance.

Al­though a Bri­tish ci­ti­zen, he has al­lowed his UK driv­ing li­cence to lapse be­cause he has lived and worked in the US for sev­eral years and now has a Hawai­ian li­cence. I con­tacted my car in­surer through AA In­sur­ance and was told this was not pos­si­ble. I man­aged to find one in­surer that could of­fer the ser­vice for a max­i­mum of 28 days. It would have meant chang­ing my own in­sur­ance pol­icy and it quoted me an an­nual charge of more than £700.

Hav­ing searched the in­ter­net I found two lists

of coun­tries that qual­ify for tem­po­rary cover, but I fail to un­der­stand why Amer­i­can li­cence hold­ers are not el­i­gi­ble. HH, MID­DLE­SEX

I spoke to Ian Crow­der of AA In­sur­ance (the bro­ker busi­ness you were deal­ing with, which has a panel of in­sur­ers).

He said the dif­fi­culty was that “in­sur­ers just don’t have the ap­petite for the greater risk in­volved in cov­er­ing a for­eign na­tional”.

He added that over­seas driv­ers were around three times more likely than do­mes­tic ones to have a col­li­sion, as they are not used to Bri­tain’s roads.

He con­cluded: “EU driv­ers can drive their cars in the UK on their own car

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.