BUR­TON A........2 SOUTHEND ......0 Shrimpers un­beaten run is fi­nally ended

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Chris Phillips

BUR­TON Al­bion boss Gary Rowett hailed his side as ‘mag­nif­i­cent’ as they ended Southend United’s lengthy un­beaten run.

The Shrimpers went in to the game hav­ing not lost in their last 14 out­ings.

But they never looked like trou­bling the Brew­ers and that de­lighted Rowett, whose team also moved up in to the play-off po­si­tions.

“I thought we were mag­nif­i­cent out there and again showed that we can match any side in this league when we get things right,” said Rowett.

“The work-rate and ef­fort was fan­tas­tic against a very good and in form side and the pleas­ing thing was Southend didn’t really cre­ate too many chances against us.

“We lim­ited them to very few op­por­tu­ni­ties and win­ning our first head­ers was the key.

“That dis­rupted Southend’s mo­men­tum and made it a very good af­ter­noon for us.”

The Brew­ers were able to record the vic­tory de­spite play­ing the fi­nal 14 min­utes with 10 men af­ter de­fender Nathan Stan­ton was dis­missed for a sec­ond book­able of­fence.

Stan­ton was shown a sec­ond yel­low card by ref­eree Gary Sut­ton af­ter ap­pear­ing to push Luke Prosser in­side the penalty area while lin­ing up to de­fend a free­kick.

And Rowett was dis­ap­pointed by the be­hav­iour of his de­fender.

“He’s ex­pe­ri­enced enough to have known bet­ter and not got him­self in to that sit­u­a­tion,” said Rowett.

“I didn’t see the in­ci­dent clearly and will need to look at it again be­fore com­ment­ing prop­erly but he’s given the ref­eree a de­ci­sion to make and given him a chance to send him off.”

The dis­missal did not prove costly though as two goals in­side the open­ing 36 min­utes handed the Brew­ers all three points.

Rowett’s team went in front with 16 min­utes on the clock when Lee Bell’s right-wing cross picked out Calvin Zola who slid the ball in to the back of the net from eight yards.

The Brew­ers then went fur­ther ahead 20 min­utes later when a long-range shot from Bell ap­peared to be head­ing wide of the right post un­til it de­flected off Shrimpers cap­tain Chris Barker and flew in to the back of the net.

Southend tried to get back in to the game in the sec­ond half and their best chance came late on when sub­sti­tute David Martin scuffed a close-range shot wide of the left post.

That en­sured the Shrimpers sunk to their first de­feat since Oc­to­ber and frus­trated man­ager Paul Stur­rock.

“It was a bad day at the of­fice for us and we paid the price for a poor at­ti­tude,” said Stur­rock.

“Over con­fi­dence is just as bad as not hav­ing enough con­fi­dence and that’s what’s hap­pened here.

“There was one team out there who fought to make things hap­pen and there was one team who just thought it was go­ing to hap­pen. “It was dis­ap­point­ing but it’s one de­feat in 15 games for us and hopefully we can re­act in the right way to this and get an­other run go­ing.”


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.