The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Robert Do­man

SEAN Dy­che couldn’t get enough of Burnley’s at­tack­ing prow­ess as the Clarets came from be­hind to move firmly away from the rel­e­ga­tion zone and leave Bris­tol City star­ing down the bar­rel.

Al­bert Adomah had put the Robins ahead against the run of play af­ter Burnley had been con­tin­u­ally thwarted by the fine form of vis­it­ing keeper Tom Heaton be­fore Ja­son Shack­ell man­aged to beat him early in the sec­ond half.

Chris McCann scored Burnley’s sec­ond but they had to rely on the reflexes of Lee Grant to keep out Steven Davies’ penalty be­fore Martin Pater­son made the game safe in a pul­sat­ing fi­nale.

And Dy­che said:“That was as dom­i­nant a dis­play as I have seen from us this sea­son. We had 25 ef­forts on goal and I very much en­joyed our per­for­mance.

“We played with good in­ge­nu­ity, or­gan­i­sa­tion and free­dom and even when we found our­selves be­hind at half-time we stayed calm.

“We made good use of the ball and man­aged the game well. Lee Grant made a fan­tas­tic penalty save but their goal­keeper made some top­drawer saves too.

“All in all it was a very pleas­ing day for me, the team and the fans who backed us again and helped gal­vanise us as a group.

“I was really de­lighted with the way we went about our busi­ness but the mad­ness of the Cham­pi­onship this sea­son means that no one can sit back and re­lax.”

Burnley en­joyed a flurry of early op­por­tu­ni­ties which saw Sam Vokes shoot wide on two min­utes be­fore Char­lie Austin drew a su­perb re­flex save from Heaton.

Heaton then re­acted to an 11th-minute Austin header to deny the Clarets marks­man once more while Dean Mar­ney mea­sured a curl­ing 25-yard strike which just missed the top cor­ner.

And it was City who took the lead against the run of play when Adomah col­lected Davies’ won­der­ful 35th- minute through ball.

Shack­ell pulled Burnley level seven min­utes af­ter the break how­ever when he chested in a Ju­nior Stanis­las cor­ner that eluded ev­ery­one as it skirted across the six yard box be­fore find­ing him at the far post.

Heaton then foiled Vokes as the Welsh in­ter­na­tional rose in­side the penalty area but McCann’s 61st-minute vol­ley put Burnley in front as he fired home Kieran Trip­pier’s cross.

It was Grant’s time to shine when he made a stun­ning penalty save at the other end on 81 min­utes af­ter Joseph Mills brought down Adomah be­fore Heaton re­sponded to turn Austin’s goal­bound strike around soon af­ter.

But Burnley sub Pater­son had the fi­nal say when he struck in in­jury time as the ball fell kindly to him off the back of the un­for­tu­nate Matthew Bates.

Bris­tol City boss Sean O’Driscoll didn’t speak to the press af­ter the game, but Robins goalscorer, Adomah said:“If the penalty had gone in the re­sult could have been dif­fer­ent and we might have come away with a point.

“But it is not over yet and we have to stay pos­i­tive be­cause we still have five games to keep our­selves in this di­vi­sion.

“Ev­ery­one is try­ing to gee each other up and that en­cour­age­ment is im­por­tant be­cause when we are down we don’t want to be knocked again.

“We can still sur­vive but we have been fight­ing ever since I came to the club.

“You can’t dwell on things you just have to move on and hopefully we can do that as a team.”

OUT OF REACH: Burnley de­fender Ja­son Shack­ell equalises

ALL ARMS AND LEGS: Chris McCann gives Burnley the lead just af­ter the hour

PIC­TURES: Me­dia Im­age

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.