The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By John Brind­ley

BRIAN Flynn is qui­etly con­tent with Don­caster’s po­si­tion at the top of League One af­ter Rovers chalked up a sec­ond suc­ces­sive cru­cial sin­gle-goal vic­tory.

His right-hand man Rob Jones lashed a close range shot joy­ously into the roof of the Tran­mere net af­ter 63 min­utes to set­tle a match ru­ined by the dread­ful Keep­moat Sta­dium pitch.

The re­sult leaves former lead­ers Tran­mere need­ing to turn things around in their fi­nal three games if they are to reach the play offs.

Don­caster mean­while are seven points clear of Yeovil in third and two ahead of Bournemouth in sec­ond and Flynn said:“The pitch was per­fect – we’ve won 1-0.

“Again it’s a goal from a set piece and again it’s come from our cen­tre-half; Jamie McCombe on Mon­day and now Jonesy.

“The lads have put in a really tough shift against a good Tran­mere side. I al­ways thought one goal would be enough to set­tle it and we’ve con­trolled many pe­ri­ods of the game. We de­fend well in­di­vid­u­ally and as a unit and did so again.

“I’m glad to be seven points clear (of third place), but I’d pre­fer to be 17. Go­ing to Brent­ford on the fi­nal day look­ing to win to clinch the ti­tle would do me.”

The match was a dis­mal 0-0 as a spec­ta­cle with both sides strug­gling to con­trol the ball on the grass­less, un­even sur­face.

Donny de­served the points for their weight of pres­sure although the win­ner was the only oc­ca­sion all af­ter­noon an on-tar­get ef­fort got through to ei­ther un­em­ployed goal­keeper.

Ash Tay­lor picked up a yel­low card for con­ced­ing a free-kick a cou­ple of yards in­side his own half for a foul on Donny striker Chris Brown.

David Cot­ter­ill, al­ways Donny’s like­li­est route to goal, swung the ball over for Jamie McCombe to nudge into Jones’ preda­tory path and he gave Tran­mere keeper Owain fon Wil­liams no earthly chance.

Cot­ter­ill sent a cou­ple of his long-range spe­cials fizzing just wide in the first half while Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro nod­ded Andy Robin­son’s free-kick nar­rowly off tar­get af­ter 43 min­utes.

De­spite mak­ing a dou­ble sub­sti­tu­tion, Ron­nie Moore’s Tran­mere failed to cre­ate any clear open­ings in the fi­nal stages. Akpa Akpro’s tame vol­ley af­ter 49 min­utes was the near­est they came to test­ing Gary Woods.

And Tran­mere boss Ron­nie Moore said: “It’s dis­ap­point­ing as that looked like a nailed on 0-0.

“The ball has trav­elled 60 yards from the free-kick and yet again we’ve con­ceded a goal from the sec­ond phase of play.

“I can’t fault us for ef­fort, com­mit­ment and de­sire. That pitch is bet­ter than ours but it was still dif­fi­cult to get the ball down and play on it.

“We’ve got to win our last three games now but we don’t really look like scor­ing. We have to get be­lief into them and get crosses

into the box.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.