Pools off the bot­tom as Bury’s Shakes go on

HARTLE­POOL ....2 BURY ..................0

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Thomas Han­nah

HARTLE­POOL live to fight an­other day in League One af­ter see­ing off fel­low strug­glers Bury – but all boss John Hughes cares about is restor­ing pride for the club’s bat­tered fans.

Winger Andy Monkhouse scored twice as Hartle­pool fi­nally ended their eight-game win­less and score­less streak against the ten-man Shak­ers.

They had not scored since Monkhouse fin­ished off Crewe in a 3-0 win on Fe­buary 28 with his header on 42 min­utes end­ing a run of 762 min­utes with­out a goal.

Monkhouse then got an­other later on – a sec­ond header – to lift Hartle­pool off the foot of the ta­ble, jump­ing over Bury, who were well beaten.

Pools are five points off safety, the Shak­ers seven, how­ever Hughes was more pleased to have given the sup­port­ers some­thing to cheer about.

“The win keeps us alive, and took us off the bot­tom, so all credit to the boys,’’ said Hughes.

“We aim to fin­ish the sea­son on a high and get the pride back. Hopefully it keeps the sup­port­ers happy. It’s very pleas­ing, but it was not a great match. Two com­pet­i­tive teams, but it was a must-win game for us and we got off the foot of the ta­ble.

“What will hap­pen, will hap­pen and we owe it to our sup­port­ers to put pride in the club.We tried to play foot­ball, the con­di­tions weren’t great but we played it prop­erly and I’m de­lighted to pick up the points – it gives us a lit­tle bit of hope.’’

Pools hit the post on five min­utes, when Simon Wal­ton’s shot was de­flected against the frame by de­fender Efe Sodje.

They had to wait un­til Monkhouse’s 42nd-minute header to end their drought and then went crazy as Jon Franks curled an­other against the post be­fore push­ing wide of an open goal.

On the stroke of half-time, the Shak­ers had Craig Fa­gan sent off af­ter he clat­tered into Dar­ren Holden from be­hind.

The vis­i­tors did press men for­ward in the sec­ond half, but the clos­est they went to scor­ing was when Andy Bishop turned and shot over.

Monkhouse made it safe on 72 min­utes, again meet­ing a Franks cross, and his header crept past Cameron Belford.

Shak­ers boss Kevin Black­well, who could only name four sub­sti­tutes for the game, ad­mit­ted:“It’s been such a long sea­son, the whole sit­u­a­tion is grim. They looked beaten at the end, it’s the same 11-12 week in, week out. Goals give you a lift, a spring in your stride, we ended up con­ced­ing too eas­ily. “It opens up and we ex­pose our two cen­tre-halves too much. It’s the old adage that goals win games.”


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.