BARNSLEY........0 CHARLTON ......6

The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By John Mcdougall

CHARLTON man­ager Chris Pow­ell hailed his side’s six-hit dis­play at Oak­well as one of the best of his man­age­rial ca­reer.

Bradley Pritchard and John­nie Jack­son gave the Ad­dicks a half-time lead, while Yann Ker­mor­gant, Cal­lum Har­riott, Salim Kerkar and Ri­cardo Fuller com­pleted the rout.

Stephen Daw­son and Tom Kennedy saw sec­ond-half red cards for Barnsley, with Pow­ell be­liev­ing the drub­bing could have been even greater as Charlton climbed to ninth in the Cham­pi­onship.

“It’s cer­tainly one of the best per­for­mances in my man­age­rial ca­reer,” he said. “I won’t say the best but cer­tainly I think that’s the most we’ve scored un­der my ten­ure.

“It’s def­i­nitely up there in my top three. For us to score six on the road was fan­tas­tic.

“We could have scored more, they went down to ten and then nine men but it was 4-0 be­fore the first send­ing off.

“We were pro­fes­sional right to the end so I’m proud of them all, with six dif­fer­ent scor­ers.

“It was mas­sive to get off to a good start as Barnsley have been very good here. No­body saw that coming.

“You don’t get many days like this. I said to the play­ers to en­joy it with the sup­port­ers and en­joy the moment.

“We’ve had a few down days this year but our re­cent form shows ex­actly where we’re at and what this group of play­ers are ca­pa­ble of.

“All of the play­ers are work­ing hard, we’ve worked on our shape in and out of pos­ses­sion. Our key play­ers are play­ing with con­fi­dence.”

The Ad­dicks took a fourth minute lead when Luke Steele spilled Ker­mor­gant’s shot and Pritchard fin­ished from close-range.

Skip­per Jack­son dou­bled Charlton’s ad­van­tage on 19 min­utes when he nut­megged Steele.

Ker­mor­gant scored Charlton’s third with a 48th minute back post bul­let header from Rhoys Wig­gins’ left-wing cross.

Har­riott’s pow­er­ful 59th minute shot added the Ad­dicks’ fourth, which Tykes cap­tain Steele par­ried into his own net.

Barnsley’s mis­ery con­tin­ued on 62 min­utes when Daw­son saw a straight red from ref­eree Ge­off El­tring­ham for a two-footed lunge on Ker­mor­gant.

Jonathan Obika’s clever 80th minute turn in the box fed fel­low sub­sti­tute Kerkar for a com­posed close-range fin­ish.

Kennedy saw red for bring­ing down a through on goal Fuller on 86 min­utes, the former Stoke striker scor­ing in stop­page time with a de­light­ful curl­ing shot.

Barnsley man­ager David Fl­itcroft feels his side must stick to­gether as their rel­e­ga­tion strug­gles deep­ened, but had no ob­jec­tions to both red cards.

“It went wrong from the start,” he said. “The first 20 min­utes we couldn’t cope and we couldn’t han­dle the strik­ers and the wingers.

“They got the bet­ter of us with scor­ing so early in the game – it gave them a real ad­van­tage. Cer­tainly we left a lot of gaps and were quite frag­mented in our play and our shape. We looked open and quite ex­posed.

“They’ve caused us prob­lems and to con­cede six goals at home is a real calami­tous blow.

“I think the ball has got away from Daw­son and it’s a reach­ing tackle. I’d pos­si­bly like to have a look at that one again but with Kennedy it’s a pro­fes­sional foul and he has to send him off.

“We’ve got to build off what we have, re­main strong and gal­vanise this group.”

PIC­TURES: Me­dia Im­age

CAP­TAIN MARVEL: Charlton’s John­nie Jack­son cel­e­brates af­ter his side’s sec­ond goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.