SWIN­DON ..........0 Mor­gan kicks off with win

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Colin Hen­rys

CARE­TAKER man­ager Chris Mor­gan claims former boss Danny Wil­son will be the hap­pi­est man in Sh­effield af­ter United saw off pro­mo­tion ri­vals Swin­don.

Former Blades skip­per Mor­gan took over from the sacked Wil­son on Wed­nes­day and he saw Chris Porter and Dave Kit­son fire the hosts to vic­tory in his first game in charge.

And Mor­gan – who was de­lighted with the de­sire his team showed – is hop­ing his luck con­tin­ues in what is prov­ing to be a cru­cial run-in.

“I told my wife this morn­ing, what I am is a very lucky man,” he said.

“The text mes­sages and the calls I’ve had from all sorts of peo­ple in foot­ball – coaches, man­agers, play­ers – has been fan­tas­tic.

“But it’s the 14 play­ers who played that got the re­sult and if we’re go­ing to get pro­moted this sea­son it’s got to be through that team unity.

“We’ve all been in dress­ing rooms when a man­ager’s been sacked and it is dif­fi­cult, but what we have to do is be pro­fes­sional peo­ple and we’ve got a job to do.

“Prob­a­bly the most pleased man sat at home lis­ten­ing to the re­sults will be Danny – I guar­an­tee you that.

“We’re all de­lighted be­cause it’s a mas­sive re­sult for us.We needed it – it puts day­light be­tween us and Swin­don and what it does is give us the con­fi­dence to go on.

The Blades com­pletely dom­i­nated the first half and could have been in front just three min­utes in when Harry Maguire hit the post from Tony McMa­hon’s free-kick. Porter then had an eighth-minute shot headed off the line by Aden Flint be­fore Kit­son’s fol­lowup was blocked.

Kit­son re­leased Porter with a threaded through ball three min­utes later but the lat­ter’s shot was saved at the sec­ond at­tempt.

They com­bined again on 29 min­utes but Porter’s right- footed shot went wide across Foder­ing­ham’s goal.

James Collins forced a smart save from Ge­orge Long with a well­struck 34th-minute shot in Swin­don’s best chance of the game.

But the Blades’ pres­sure fi­nally told three minute later when Porter pow­er­fully headed in McMa­hon’s free-kick from close-range.

Min­utes be­fore half-time McMa­hon nearly grabbed one him­self, but his 20-yard free-kick clat­tered the post and went wide.

Chances were scarce af­ter the break but Simon Ferry’s inch-per­fect tackle de­nied Kit­son a cer­tain goal on 73 min­utes af­ter the ball fell kindly to him in the area.

The striker wrapped up the win on 82 min­utes though, head­ing McMa­hon’s right-wing cross in off the un­der­side of the bar.

And Robins boss Kevin MacDon­ald ad­mit­ted his side were well be­low par.

“The sup­port­ers pay their money, they’ve got a right to say what they want,” he said.

“The one thing is the peo­ple who have come to this game will have seen there was a change in at­ti­tude and per­for­mance in the sec­ond half.

“It still wasn’t good enough for what this foot­ball club want and what I want but when you’re not win­ning games you ex­pect them to be un­happy.

“I just think it’s a lit­tle bit of ef­fort, a lit­tle bit of self-be­lief and a lit­tle bit of calm­ness all over the pitch that we’re lack­ing and all those lit­tle

things are adding up.” COVEN­TRY boss Steven Press­ley in­sisted his side’s match at Craw­ley should’ve been aban­doned due to treach­er­ous play­ing con­di­tions.

Goals ei­ther side of the half from Billy Clarke and Connor Es­sam gave Craw­ley an out­side chance of mak­ing the Play-Offs and an­other pro­mo­tion while Coven­try fell to their suc­ces­sive away de­feat.

How­ever Press­ley felt the state of the pitch hin­dered the way his team try to play their foot­ball.

“I think the game should’ve been called off,” said Press­ley. “The ref’s rea­son for con­tin­u­ing the game was be­cause he felt the penalty ar­eas were ok. You’ve got to re­mem­ber there’s an­other 80 per cent of the pitch to con­sider and it made life very treach­er­ous.

“It made life very dif­fi­cult in terms of pass­ing the ball and that’s cer­tainly what we want to do as a foot­ball side. The play­ers kept try­ing to do the things we’ve been work­ing to­wards dur­ing the week in train­ing and credit to them for that.

“We weren’t ag­gres­sive in the first half, with and with­out the ball but I thought in the last 15 min­utes we put Craw­ley un­der a se­vere amount of pres­sure.”

Both sides en­joyed chances early in the match through Craw­ley’s Clarke and Carl Baker.

How­ever The Reds took the lead quar­ter of an hour in

DAVE KIT­SON OPENER: Chris Porter scores the Blades’ first goal

COR­NER: Nicky Adams


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.