The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Thomas Han­nah

BRENT­FORD boss Uwe Rosler is rel­ish­ing a fi­nal-day show­down with Don­caster to de­ter­mine who gets pro­mo­tion to the Cham­pi­onship.

Rovers’ de­feat to Notts County and the Bees’ draw at Hartle­pool means the teams are sep­a­rated by two points ahead of their meet­ing at Grif­fin Park on Satur­day.

The Bees fell be­hind at rel­e­gated Pools, but lev­elled be­fore half-time. They were un­able, how­ever, to raise their game and find a win­ner in a scrappy sec­ond-half.

They now have to beat longterm lead­ers Rovers to go up.

And boss Rosler de­clared:“We have worked so hard in the last few months to be in the po­si­tion where we have it in our own hands and now it all leads to the fi­nal day.

“It’s a home game and we have en­joyed a great achieve­ment in get­ting there – Don­caster have ev­ery­thing to lose and we have ev­ery­thing to gain.

“This wasn’t the great­est game by any means, in the 25 min­utes un­til they scored we were not at the races, then we lost our nerves.

“When we started to at­tack, we scored and then in the sec­ond half we were the bet­ter team and had some very good chances, but we know we can all play bet­ter, no ques­tion about it.

“Credit to Hartle­pool, they showed char­ac­ter and didn’t drop their heads af­ter rel­e­ga­tion. But we are where we want to be and are full of op­ti­mism – we look for­ward to a full house at Grif­fin Park.’’

Pools started well and were good value for their 25th minute lead. Luke James got in on the left and knocked the ball across for Jack Baldwin. His shot was blocked and the ball fell for James, who picked his spot and drilled in through the busy penalty area.

The equaliser came be­fore half­time at a time when the Bees were gain­ing a foothold in the game.

Home keeper Scott Flin­ders, the club’s player of the year, made a fly­ing save from a Jon Dou­glas header, but Pools failed to clear.

Mar­cello Trotta took pos­ses­sion, held off a num­ber of de­fend­ers with his back to goal, turned and fired low past Flin­ders.

But the sec­ond half was a non-event. Pools cre­ated noth­ing and the Bees were wary of the cost of de­feat. It was only in the clos­ing min­utes when Bees’ sub­sti­tute Tom Adeyemi had a chance to win it, but Peter Hart­ley blocked his shot.

Home boss John Hughes said:“In the last 15 min­utes of the first half it was Brent­ford who got a hold in the game and sec­ond half was backs to the walls.

“We had three young kids out there play­ing against a team that are go­ing for au­to­matic pro­mo­tion which will do them the world of good.

“In terms of ef­fort it was dif­fer­ent class, it’s a real tricky play­ing sur­face, con­di­tions weren’t great for ev­ery­one and I wish them all the best in their pur­suit of pro­mo­tion.

“We kept our fo­cus on the game and we need to sit down and won’t make any knee-jerk re­ac­tions.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.