CARLISLE ........0 COLCH­ESTER ..2 Colch­ester avoid the drop with gutsy win

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Jon Wal­dron

JOE DUNNE hailed his “mag­nif­i­cent” Colch­ester play­ers af­ter they won at Carlisle United to se­cure their League One sta­tus.

The U’s needed at least a point to stay in the di­vi­sion and their vic­tory se­cured their place in the third tier, de­spite Scun­thorpe United’s 3-1 win over Swin­don Town.

Sec­ond-half goals from Gavin Massey and Tom East­man se­cured them a de­served win at Brun­ton Park and U’s boss Dunne said: “I thought that we were mag­nif­i­cent.

“We had a game plan which worked absolutely spot on.

“We frus­trated Carlisle and we said at half-time that we could go for it and win.

“We knew that we had to stay in the game and the first goal was as a re­sult of a very good move.

“We con­trolled the first half and the game de­vel­oped into ex­actly how we wanted it to.

“We’ve worked hard in train­ing this week.

“I’m so pleased for all of the play­ers and staff who have all worked ex­tremely hard and also the sup­port­ers.”

Carlisle boss Greg Ab­bott said: “The play­ers were flat for the game.

“We wanted to go out on a high note and fin­ish the sea­son prop­erly.

“But we couldn’t find the flu­ency and that lit­tle bit of qual­ity that you need.

“The goals that they scored were soft, scrappy goals.

“The re­sult has put a bit of damp­ener on things for us.

“We put a lot of hard work into our last six or seven games.

“But we had some dam­ag­ing blows ear­lier in the sea­son.

“There is a lot of work to be done – it didn’t look like there was go­ing to be ma­jor surgery to be done here over the last six games but it looked like that (against Colch­ester).”

Colch­ester knew that a draw at Carlisle would be enough to seal their League One sta­tus for an­other year, irre- spec­tive of fourth-bot­tom Scun­thorpe’s re­sult against Swin­don Town.

And de­spite the enor­mity of the match for them, they per­formed well through­out and looked or­gan­ised and solid.

Carlisle keeper Mark Gille­spie pushed away Billy Clif­ford’s long-range shot early on while at the other end, Lee Miller had time to shoot in­side the area un­til John White did well to re­cover and block the goal­bound shot.

Liam No­ble’s lofted first-time shot from 25 yards flew over af­ter pa­tient build-up from Carlisle but Colch­ester had penalty ap­peals turned down eight min­utes be­fore the break when O’Han­lon ap­peared to han­dle.

Walker pushed away No­ble’s ef­fort be­fore half-time but the first half fin­ished goal-less and Colch­ester looked com­fort­able.

They started brightly af­ter the break and took a pre­cious lead when Massey some­how swept the ball in from a dif­fi­cult an­gle af­ter Clif­ford’s shot had come back off the bar. And the U’s sealed their League One safety when East­man headed in.

PIC­TURES: Me­dia Im­age

BUN­DLE: Colch­ester United’s Tom East­man scores his side’s sec­ond goal

ON TAR­GET: Gavin Massey heads in Colch­ester’s first



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.