The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Richard Latham

YORK sub­sti­tute Ryan Bow­man can ex­pect more than a slap on the wrist from boss Nigel Wor­thing­ton for the send­ing-off that left his team with a mam­moth task at the Me­mo­rial Sta­dium.

Bow­man had only been on the pitch for five min­utes as a re­place­ment for Wes Fletcher when he was shown a straight red card for a 43rd-minute penalty area dust-up with Tom Parkes, who was cau­tioned by ref­eree Gary Sut­ton.

And while Wor­thing­ton ad­mit­ted to hear­ing con­flict­ing re­ports, he was adamant that Bow­man was tread­ing a tight line in the first place.

“I’m told the lines­man in­di­cated that Ryan had pushed the Rovers player in the face, al­though I also heard their man had him by the scruff of the neck,” Wor­thing­ton said.

“What­ever the case, all our play­ers know the risk you run if you raise your arms, so if Ryan did that he can have no com­plaints.

“We started the game in an un­ac­cept­able fash­ion and gave away goals through school­boy er­rors. You can’t ex­pect to take any­thing when that hap­pens.

“But af­ter that we played some good football and man­aged to put Rovers un­der some pres­sure in the sec­ond half, de­spite their man ad­van­tage.”

Rovers were gifted their first two goals, both scored by David Clark­son, who volleyed the opener on three min­utes af­ter a mishit clear­ance from Tom Al­lan.

Half an hour later York goal­keeper Michael Ing­ham dropped a Michael Smith cross and Clark­son fired into the roof of the net.

York hit back four min­utes be­fore the in­ter­val when Lee Brown blocked a shot from Bow­man and Ryan Jarvis was left with a sim­ple tap-in.

Then Jarvis de­servedly lev­elled with a fiercely struck 64th-minute penalty af­ter a foul by Rovers defender Mark McChrys­tal was spot­ted by ref­eree Gary Sut­ton.

The vis­i­tors were cock-a-hoop, but three min­utes later John-Joe O’Toole fired the win­ner at the far post af­ter young winger Al­fie San­tos had volleyed across goal.

And Rovers boss John Ward had a smile back on his face af­ter his team bounced back from a poor per­for­mance at New­port County.

“The re­sponse was just what I wanted.We were pos­i­tive from the out­set and David Clark­son has pro­duced two ex­cel­lent fin­ishes,” he said. “I am not a man­ager to hedge about things, but I gen­uinely didn’t see ei­ther the send­ing-off or the penalty in­ci­dents be­cause I was fol­low­ing the ball.

“Hav­ing seen the penalty again on DVD, I don’t think it was a lot dif­fer­ent to one we claimed in York’s box, but th­ese de­ci­sions go for and against you over the course of a sea­son.”

Ward has been with­out as many as ten first choice play­ers, but the in­jury list is at last short­en­ing.This was the first time this sea­son that I have had some se­lec­tion deci- sions to make,” he added. “But we lost Eliot Richards to a ham­string prob­lem in train­ing dur­ing the week so it’s swings and round­abouts at the mo­ment.” To comment on this match go to http://boards.footy­

PIC­TURES: Pin­na­cle

THAT’S ONE: Bris­tol Rovers’ David Clark­son slams in the opener be­fore cel­e­brat­ing

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.