The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Chris Phillips

AR­MAND Gnan­duil­let’s stop­page-time header se­cured Ch­ester­field a dra­matic vic­tory at the Proact Sta­dium, al­though Southend man­ager Phil Brown be­lieves the striker shouldn’t have been af­forded the chance.

The sub­sti­tute headed home a late cor­ner to grab all three points for the Spire­ites af­ter Freddy East­wood had can­celled out Gary Roberts’ opener for the home side.

But Shrimpers boss Brown was left ques­tion­ing the six min­utes of added-on-time ref­eree Se­bas­tian Stock­bridge de­cided to play.

“I don’t know where the six min­utes of stop­page-time came from and you could hear that the crowd thought the same when the board went up,” said Brown.

“The ref­eree cer­tainly played his part but we still should have de­fended for that long.

“In our dress­ing room you would think we’ve lost a cup fi­nal and they’re won­der­ing how we’ve lost.

“But the way Ch­ester­field’s bench and play­ers re­acted you would think they had won the cham­pi­onship and that tells me an aw­ful lot.

“We will learn from this, but it’s not a nice feel­ing. I’m bit­terly dis­ap­pointed for the play­ers be­cause their ef­fort and work-rate was fan­tas­tic and I thought the best team lost.”

Ch­ester­field started brightly and came close to open­ing the scor­ing when Jay O’Shea’s curl­ing 25-yard shot was su­perbly tipped over the cross­bar by Southend goal­keeper Daniel Bent­ley. But the Spierites fi­nally went in front in the 59th minute when Roberts curled a fan­tas­tic 30-yard free-kick high into the left hand side of the goal.

The Shrimpers equalised nine min­utes later when sub­sti­tute Ke­van Hurst teed up East­wood and he drilled home his third goal in three games with an as­sured left-foot shot which Ch­ester­field goal­keeper Tommy Lee could only push in to the bot­tom left cor­ner of the net.

That seemed to have se­cured a point for Southend but, deep into stop­page time, Gnan­duil­let es­caped the at­ten­tions of Luke Prosser to head Roberts’ right-wing cor­ner in to the roof of the net from six yards.

And that de­lighted their as­sis­tant man­ager Leam Richard­son who ad­mit­ted that he al­ways ex­pected there to be such a lengthy amount of stop­page time.

“There were a few as­pects of our per­for­mance which weren’t great but the re­sult cer­tainly was and we’re re­ally pleased,” said Richard­son.

“The win­ner came in stop­page time and I ac­tu­ally thought there was al­ways go­ing be around six min­utes added on be­cause there were two goals, six subs and Southend also slowed the game down at times and the of­fi­cials were aware of that.

“Southend are a good team, they’re or­gan­ised and good at what they do.

“They will be a tough team in League Two this year and they will get wins for sure at this level so this is a very good win for us.” To comment on this match go to http://boards.footy­

PIC­TURES: Me­dia Im­age Ltd

PER­FECT TIM­ING: Ar­mand Gnan­duil­let cel­e­brates his goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.