Beat­tie’s livid af­ter weather hits hard

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Aran­deep Dhillon To com­ment on this match go to http://boards.footy­

AC­CRING­TON Stan­ley boss James Beat­tie strug­gled to con­tain his frus­tra­tion af­ter his side’s clash with More­cambe was aban­doned just be­fore the hour mark.

Parts of the pitch were deemed un­playable by ref­eree James Adcock with 58 min­utes on the clock and More­cambe down to ten men af­ter Alex Kenyon was sent off.

But Beat­tie was con­fi­dent the game could have con­tin­ued, de­spite some vo­cif­er­ous com­plaints from More­cambe’s Kevin El­li­son, with a ten-minute break to sort out the trou­ble­some ar­eas of the pitch.

“They wanted the match to end with them be­ing down to ten men,” he said.

“The ref­eree spoke to both man­agers at half-time and said that he had got a few con­cerns but he then went on and started the sec­ond half.

“The game could have had an ex­tended half­time pe­riod to sort out the pitch or when play stopped the play­ers could have gone in for ten min­utes to try to get the pitch sorted.

“Both play­ers had a go and un­for­tu­nately it’s been aban­doned.

“You just don’t know how the game was go­ing to go. I feel sorry for the fans, as the weather eased off.”

Both sides had strug­gled to get to grips in the con­di­tions but Kal Nai­smith found space be­fore shoot­ing just wide af­ter ten min­utes.

Jack Red­shaw had the visi­tors’ first chance of the game when he weaved into the Ac­cring­ton box and forced Mar­cus Bet­tinelli into a fine stop.

How­ever, the Reds be­gan to look threat­en­ing and came close fol­low­ing Lau­rence Wil­son’s free-kick which just evaded Tom Al­dred.

Mo­ments later More­cambe striker El­li­son came clos­est to break­ing the dead­lock when he su­perbly headed Shaun Beeley’s header onto the bar, Red­shaw fir­ing the re­bound wide. But the big­gest talk­ing point of the half came when More­cambe mid­fielder Kenyon was sent off mo­ments be­fore half­time for a slid­ing chal­lenge af­ter the ref­eree had al­ready blown his whis­tle to award a free­kick. And More­cambe boss Jim Bent­ley was left to breathe a sigh of relief af­ter the play­ers were hauled off.

“Be­fore the send­ing off, go­ing at the rate it was we said it would do well to last,” he said.

“And af­ter the send­ing off ev­ery­one will look at it that we wanted the game off be­cause when you come to a tough place like Ac­cring­ton you have a bet­ter chance with 11.

“At half time one or two of the play­ers said down the chan­nels the ball was not mov­ing.”



ELLI Ac­cring


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.